Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WWII Aircraft Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 3:57am
The merlin engined Spitfire is the prettier of the two; with the Griffon engine the front is a bit bulkier with bulged cowls above the exhaust stacks to make room for the rocker covers. The Mk19 which I looked around last year now has a five blade prop; prior to that they were running a counter rotating six blade.
This Spit is the subject of many Youtube videos,(generally posted by Eric Goujon) well worth a look if you have time. Some in cockpit video as well. The plane is now in Camo colours instead of the original reconaissance scheme.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 1:03am
Ok, OK! So it's a Packard Merlin, not a real Roller!Cry

& the much maligned Allison sitting right next to it.

They also have the Shuttle "Discovery" having updated from the "Enterprise" & the restoration hanger is almost open..
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 2:42am
Oh man! Thats BEAUTIFUL!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 3:05am
Wow!

I have not been there in 40 years. I am sure I have missed a lot.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 3:46am
Oh you have! The whole thing is slowly moving from the old building on the mall in DC to a series of aircraft hangers at the edge of Dulles airport in Chantilly, Virginia.
Phase 2, shown here is now about 99% complete & the restoration hanger is working, but not yet open to the public, but there is an open observation gallety.
They eventually hope to consolidate everything there, including the old Silverhills restoration facility.

A couple of interior views.

Even these don't really show it all off theres just so much of it packed in everywhere.
More including webcams here:
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 4:17am
I have missed a lot.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 5:04am
OH MAN!! I'd overamp for SURE if I was in there! Nice shot of the Kingfisher
Hoadie
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 5:44am
You should make a visit of it. The NRA museum is just down the road.Evil Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 6:29am
Sounds like a great road trip to take.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 11:25am
Back in the day..we did the 125th anniversary re-enactment of 1st Manassas just outside of Dulles.Went to the Viet Nam memorial & Arlington..If I hadda known bout this place-I'd a bin there fer sure!(maybe STILL there!)
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 11:37pm
The "Wall" is a strange place for a lot of people. I know people who are listed and missed.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 1:07am
I'll say..Ken Furhman had never been to it, before that.(He did 2 1/2 tours). He selected ME (of all people) to assist him in the grotto.Wow.
I traced the names of his brother, his C.O. & the pilot of the Herc he crashed in, for him. Its a humbling experience. Even moreso when this huge man is reduced to tears.I defy anyone to walk through there-look at those 58,000 names-& come out dry-eyed!
Hoadie
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 3:18am
Hoadie, I was at the 125th Antietam too, with the Irish brigade. Both sides took the appearance of looking pretty shot up at the "sunken road", though I was on the right side. LOL
The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 5:10am
If you were on the "right" side...why were you in the IRISH Brigade?
Guess you just couldnt live up to OUR standards..so you lived DOWN to theirs!
Hoadie
ZINNNGGG!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 5:12am
I have seen the Berlin Wall and the Wall in DC. The Wall in DC is a place of Honor and Peace.

The Berlin wall was the wall of lost Freedom and what could have been.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 9:34am
The wall in Berlin was a symbol of totalarism.It took a regiem(?) to put it up...& the PEOPLE to take it down.
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic