Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best military rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best military rifle
    Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:40am
Some will say the Mauser is the best but I think everyone on this site will say the Enfield is king.  Later,     303carbine
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by 303carbine 303carbine wrote:

Some will say the Mauser is the best but I think everyone on this site will say the Enfield is king.  Later,     303carbine

Yaeh call me biased  but I have to admit when it comes to a bolt action The enfield has nothing to be ashamed of ! It helped to control a empire & then a Commonwealth for a lot of years !

Dave
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:21am

I have a huge amount of faith in the Enfields.  They have always hit whatever I'm aiming at, and have never malfunctioned. But then again, since an Enfield was the first rifle I ever owned, I'm probably biased as well!

Eric

shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:03am
It was once said back in the day: "The Springfield is a target rifle, the Mauser is a huntin' rifle, but the Enfiled is a battle rifle."
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 3:18pm
It sure is nice to be all on the same Enfield page here. I sent Eric our trusty administrator some more Enfield pics, I trust he will post them for me when he gets a moment.  Thanks Eric for a good site for us Enfield addicts
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 3:21pm
Just a little note to say hi to Dave H from Australia.    John ,from British Columbia,    Canada
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 3:48pm

Hey, thanks for the praise.  I wanted to have a place that all Enfield lovers could hang out.  After the unfortunate passing of Mark Bitting, britishguns.net went down.  I was hoping to be able to revive britishguns.net, however, after contacting Mark's lovely widow, we were unable to get things worked out.  So, this was the only other option I had. 

I plan on adding more pages to the site, it's just slow coming.  I just purchased the forum software license from the programmer the designed it.  You may have noticed that the google adds are now missing.  I couldn't wait to get the license so I could get rid of those gosh-for-saking adds! I just had to make sure there were going to be enough people using the forum to make it worth while.

Oh well, I'm at work and it's almost 12:00 midnight!  My brain is fried.  We had our main Domain Controller go belly up late today and I have the unfortunate luck to rebuild it.  So, as you may have guessed by now, I'm VERY tired and am rambling on.......

GOOD NIGHT!!

Eric

ledom daor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledom daor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 4:05pm
I do love the Enfield, it is a good shooter that looks real sharp and has a real cool history.. But I must say that one can not just blow the M1 off.. 30.06 is a great round!

Governments are like Dogs. The bigger they are, the more poo they leave for you to clean up!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:19pm

you cant really say which is best because really when it comes down to it when the bullet comes out of the barrel and hits some one, they all do the same thing.

so i think that you have to sum up the performance of each ex miliratry rifle.

the Enfield (in general)

* fast smooth action, detachable box mag, 10 round capcity, 2400fps muzzle velocity.

German Mauser (and other countries that copied it with the same caliber, ie turkish, austrian.)

*2800fps muzzle velocity, most acurate rifle, solid bolt.

Russian Mosin Nagant

* 2600fps muzzle velocity, peasent rifle.

Japanese arisaka

* 2400fps muzzle velocity.

these are in no ranking order, but i do say that the enfield tops the lot because although it is one of the slowest, 10 round capacity just means alot more shots at the enemy in a quicker time period, as well as it having the smoothest bolt.

best modern military rifle?

Kalashnikov, no doubt. bury it in sand, throw it in water, run over it with a truck, throw it off a cliff, it still works, so without a doubt the best rifle ever made. so when you think of it an army of pure untrained soldiers can use this and hardly have to maintain it.

after all that happening to it it isant as accurate but still packs a punch.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:21pm

oh this is where i got my info from....

http://www.surplusrifle.com/smle/index.asp

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:11pm
Hey Dunno look up any data you can find on the German MP44 (it makes one really think about the origans of the Klashnikov ) Having been shot at by people armed with these I can agree they are idiot proof ! But I feel that as they fall into the class of a assullt weapon ,they are are only a intermediate cartridge not a Full blown  Rifle ...They fall into the Grey area between  Submachine guns (a ammo hungry chatter box that runs dry just as the situation becomes truley interesting ) & the full blown rifle round that comes into it's own for presise long range shooting (which also tends to run dry as the situation becomes really interesting )

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:27pm

i am sure that the AK 47 is 7.2x51, standard NATO caliber.

thats what the Mosin Nagant caliber is.

the bloke that made the ak denies that he made it based on any design buthis own. but they say he based it on an MP 44 like you said dave. but i think it was a combanation of the Tokarev SVT-38 SVT-40 and the MP 44. he just dosent like the germans seeing as though he was a tank commander.

so i dont think it falls under assault rifle, more like self loading rifle because its barrel is almsot the same length as a Lee Enfield MK V.

the styer aug is an assault rifle, not to mention the dodgy saftey catch it has on it.

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:41pm
Weren't the MP 40 series brought in to compete with the russian PPSh 21 which had a 71 round magazine?
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:58pm
The Kalashnikov was 762 x 39 short the nato ammo was 762x51 long.  
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 6:30pm
Ya hit the nail on the Head Toney The 7.62x 39 falls roughly into the same power factor of a 30-30 roughly ! Hense it becomes a assult rifle rnd! or a intermidiate Round  The 5.56 is now the standard Nato Round (God help us all ) The Mp40 seris were a differant wapon the MP44 actualy appeared in 1943 & Hitler cannceled it's production seeing no future in a shorterned 8mm round it was later whilst in Stalingrad   He asked what was needed to break the stalemate ? The reply was 10,000 of these (MP44's ) But they came into full production to late to make any differance!!! Hey let's face it Slave labour was starting to get hard to obtain by then ! THe supply of Jews was out stripped by the demand !

Dave    
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:31pm
Thanks Dave my history is very shaky on production of weapons. There were and still are so many variations being made its hard to keep track of them. If its of any interest my lad brought a book home from a second hand book stall. Miltary small Arms of the twentieth century by Ian Hogg and John  Weeks Published by Purnell Book Services london. Informative reading for the unintiated like me.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic