Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History behind "Molon Labe"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History behind "Molon Labe"
    Posted: April 09 2013 at 8:36am
I have seen the phrase "Molon Labe" used with increasing frequency, due to the present political climate in the USA.  I came across this site with a short history of the term.

For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 10:11pm
thank you for the link , i knew the story but this did indeed bring it home again and relate it directly to the current condition ,

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 12:13am
It reminds me of the story during WWII, the 101 Airborne,the Germans, and a little town in Belgium.

"Nutz"
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 3:24am
Paddy..that would have been BASTOGNE..FRANCE
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 6:30am
During his speech, Charlton Heston held the Kentucky Long Rifle high and shouted:

"From my cold dead hands"

King Leonidas would have been proud.
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 6:38am
Hey Hoadie,

I will bet you a beer on this one.

The 101st Airborne Division troops defending Bastogne, Belgium during World War II's Battle of the Bulge.

Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Paddy..that would have been BASTOGNE..FRANCE
Hoadie
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:50am
Your right(ARRGH! ) I knew it was 101st.I knew what battle it was as well.
My geography is a little off tonight
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:05am
Hoadie,

Put the key board down, back away from the computer, drink a beer, and enjoy the day.

Ed
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:43am
The movie 300 was on last night. Very stylized of course, but I like how they used a lot of the quotes from sources like Herotodus.
Seeing Leonidas say "Come and Take Them" on screen is always pretty cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 11:12pm
True words of free men!
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:23pm
I like the 1962 movie "the 300 Spartans" better than the "300" movie.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:38pm
The 300 Spartans was more historically correct.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 11:16pm
T hate when hollywood screws with history.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 1:11am
Hollywood would NEVER let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Just look @ what they done to the (un)civil war.They have the world believing that it was fought on the issue of slavery. Now-you've got every "hollywood-educated" all purpose idiot trying to ban the Confederate flags, & villifying the south!
DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 1:55am
I still fly my "Stars and Bars" from time to time.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:59am
Well you learn something everyday! "Molon Labe" I did not know the origins, thanks for posting that.
While we are on the subject of great war time speeches! who said "Some chicken! Some neck!" (WWII)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic