Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History behind "Molon Labe"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:14am
I gots me one!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:30am
I wish I did.

Enjoy!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:09pm
lots of enfeilds - wish i had one of those

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 1:09am
I think the rest of the good old Enfields are under Hoadie's bed.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 1:52am
I like old things...OLD booze, OLD cars, OLD broads, & OLD ENFIELDS!
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 5:31am
And old money.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 9:22am
..aint got NONE of that!
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:17am
Just Gold, under the bed, old Enfields.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:09pm
Most of the reinactors here have Enfield Rifle Muskets, these were used by both sides in quantity.
Many of those I've seen looked to be originals rather than replicas, and bear what look to be arsenal repairs. These may have been imports from former British colonies rather than Civil War relics.
A local gunsmith had an original Enfield carbine on display, with replacement stock, but his shop burned down so it likely was destroyed.

Back to the Spartans.
They were certainly brave and great fighters, but their culture was especially brutal to its subject people and to the children of the Spartans.
Boys were savagely beaten by adults to get them used to pain, and training was relentless from an early age.
To prove themselves young men would sneak into a helot (subject race that did most of the real work) town at night and murder a man at random, then escape undetected. 

I've read that the Spartan body armor had a bronze breastplate twice as thick as others of the type and they wore no backplate since they never turned their back on an enemy.
In later times a Roman general being honored by a parade would stand in a chariot wearing this sort of armor (Roman ceremonial armor was patterned on the Greek Muscle Cuirass) with no backplate. Behind him a trusted slave of the Emperor would hold a victor's weath above the General's head and in the other hand a dagger against his unprotected back, he would then repeatedly whisper in the general's ear "you are only a man".

The flying V fighting formation of the Spartans was also used by the Vikings, who called it the "Swine's Snout".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:32pm
It sounds like the Spartans where raised to be the "Super Soldiers".

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 10:04am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

It sounds like the Spartans where raised to be the "Super Soldiers".

Most certainly, it was the basis of their society.
When a Spartan baby was born a designated inspector took the baby to the edge of a cliff and carefully examined it. If he found any physical defect he hurled the baby over the cliff.

In some other ancient societies unwanted babies were exposed on a hillside, but childless couples could go there to rescue the baby to raise as there own. Those not chosen would of course die in a short time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 10:08am
I guess only the fit survive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic