Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMLE : 3/4 length Canvas Sleeve.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMLE : 3/4 length Canvas Sleeve.
    Posted: April 20 2013 at 11:36am
I know they existed...  I have enough period photographs of them, but not clear enough to get the main details.

I have seen them in a few reenactment photographs, but do not know to which groups the individuals who have them belong.

Can anyone supply me with close up, clear-ish photographs of the SMLE : 3/4 length Canvas Sleeve? Or know of a supplier who has them? Any lead will be most gratefully recieved.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:31pm
interested too , i was not aware of these
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 1:40am
Are you thinking of the old cavalry "buckets", a bit like a scabbard?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 2:25am
I am interested as well in seeing a photo.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 2:58am
Weren't these a two piece afair, with the front covered by one piece and the butt covered by another and tying down where they overlap?
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 7:27am
LE Owner..., Gentlemen,

No, they are once piece, and reach down to approx where the bolt handle is. I have quite a few period pics, and they are also shown in many period film footage, including the original 1916 Cinema : The Battle of the Somme.

Since my original post on here, I've been contacted by another reenactment group (I run a Bitish WW1 reenactment unit). They have supplied a good lead, so that will be traced. As some of you have expressed an interest in the item yourselves, I shall certainly produce my findings here!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 8:07am
Here is one of the pictures which started me on my search. As can be seen, the sleeve is tied in place at the Small of the Butt, and there is an aperture to allow protrution of the middle sling swivel.

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 9:58am
Interesting but not very practical.
It protects the action etc very well but would be difficult to remove in the field far enough to clear the muzzle and sights, at least if the sling swivel is run through that hole.The one piece style with flap and pockets looks far more useful.

If the sling and all were inside the cover the whole thing could be shucked pretty quickly.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 10:32am
LE Owner...

I nderstand what your thinking in regards to looseness of the item. I feel that what you may have done, is assumed the item is a tight fit. I can assure you, it certainly is not. For removel, the front end of the sling is detached, the tie at the open end of the sleeve untied... and the whole item slips off very easily.

The initial side pic I posted doesn't really give any real 3d perspective. The frontal pic above.. I've had to enlarge as much as I dare before loosing clarity. It does show the generous dimensions a little better. What we also need to remember, is that this would only have been used as shown (fully tied) when moving back to.. or going out of the trenches. The canvas breach cover was used when in action. I can only visualise this item being used in the trenches when either moving from point 'A' to point 'B' as reserve troops (as shown in period film footage), or the weapon being simply slipped inside it - when the soldier would be out in the open in foul weather, and intends to catch whatever rest he can.

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 3:57pm
Quote or the weapon being simply slipped inside it
Sounds right.
The sling option only used when not prepared for instant use.
Also being more familar with the U S type slings I forgot how the Enfield slings attach. It wouldn't be nearly as difficult to remove the sling in a hurry as it would with the U S 1907 sling or the WW2 "Widow Maker" I use on my SMLE.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 11:33pm
another bit of knowledge added to my files , id never seen one of these
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 1:47am
Thats utterly new to me as well.
I guess I'm not dead yet as I stll seem to be capable of learning!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 6:49am
The big problem being that at this stage in our lives and the onset of dementia, I will forget it until the next time.........maybe I can put this on a loop to refresh my mind every five minutesConfused
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 10:28pm
i hear that , ill forget where i saw it too
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:20am
Here is what I consider to be one of the best period pics as to why the 3/4 sleeve was in use. The conditions really give the meaning as to why it existed. This soldier actually has sandbags wrapped around his SMLE.

The photograph was taken on the Somme sometime during the battle. As you can see, the soldier wears a bandage over a head wound recieved when something pierced his helmet, and is showing off his 'Lucky Brodie' for the camera. I'll bet he wore that Brodie for the rest of his time in the war.

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 5:49am
Quote This soldier actually has sandbags wrapped around his SMLE.
Before the canvas action cover became available soldiers were instructed to use an old sock for the purpose. I expect they cut out the toe and used it a a flexible tube, easily pulled forwards or backwards to clear the action.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic