Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Spotting Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Spotting Scope?
    Posted: May 29 2013 at 3:54am
Gents, I need to buy a new spotting scope that is suitable for reading targets at at least 200 metres. I currently use a small Tasco spotting scope that tops out at x36 magnification, it is a great little scope for ,22 at 50 metres; but I have problems seeing the .303 holes in the black part of the target at 200 metres (and my eyes aren't getting any younger).
I think I need about a x60 but there are so many on the market and I don't know what is the best visual quality for the money. My budget will not stretch to the high end stuff! I'm thinking around 300 Euro but would go a bit more if necessary. What do you guys use?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 3:58am
my barska just barely works at 200yds for me and not that well , so i will sway you clear of that , its claim to fame with me was it is on low expense side and works terrific at 50-100yds , its all i have experience with
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 5:00am
Thanks ASquare' one to knock off he list. The majority of this price range are made in China now so chances are a lot of different makes come out of the same factory. Which is not ideal. My Small Tasco is good optically, but I've seen bad reports about the 20-60-60 Tasco being poor quality, so it' seems to be a bit of a minefield.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 7:22am
Try checking out older astronomy scopes!
I bought a really nice setup for a song because if it isn't digitally computer-controlled & with a CCD camera attached its "obsolete" for astronomers. Meade & Celestron are a couple of good brands. This is the setup I use, there are 2 other eyepieces for higher magnification, a 90 degree prism for astronomy & it even came with a plastic carry case. I added the 4X finder scope as the original had a terrible allignment system that I hated, but the whole thing came in at under US$125! (less the tripod, which I owned anyway.)

Front lens diameter is important BTW, you can crank up mag to crazy limits with eyepieces, but its the combination of diameter & eyepiece that really works.

For .30 holes out to 200 meters you need at least a 90mm front lens, but more is better. I use 64X mag with an 88mm objective to see 200 yd holes, but it could be a hair brighter.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 9:42pm
now thats a good solution , think i might check out the pawn shops ...but i bet the amature astronomy publications might have a WTS/WTB section for exchange of used equipment
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:28pm
See...NEW isn't always better!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 1:08am
There are several astronomy web  sites, most with a swap shop attached as well.

You'll probably need to get something called an "Erecting Prism". Its the triangular shaped bent bit at the back of the scope in the picture above. Astronomers want every last drop of light they can collect so the don't use anything to flip & flop the inverted mirror imaged view when stargazing. Unfortunately we mortal shooters prefer things right side up & un-reversed, which is what that gizmo does. Because of that requirement you need to verify the eyepiece is a standard fitting, not all are. Two popular standads are 0.95" & 1.25". The prisms come in several styles, strait, 45 degree & 90 degree. Usually you can find one new online for $30~70. Used ones are conciderably less.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 2:59am
Thanks for the info. Celestron do what looks like a good spotting scope, the 

Celestron Ultima 100 22-66x100mm

It has plenty of good reviews (from target shooters) and is at the top end of my price range, but I'd rather buy one from a proper shop, not online. At present I've only seen them online.

My local gun shop said I should get a Leupold! but they won't sell me one for my budgetCry
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 3:29am
HOLD THAT THOT,ZED!
There is a guy comin here to trade me a LEUPOLD for an old dbl barrel S/G I was gonna restore.
I really didnt want the thing..but it MAY help you!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 4:29am
Ok Hoadie, let me know if it's suitable for checking targets at 200 metres. Could be a solution to my problem!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 4:07am
Well I've bought a second hand german made spotting scope, made by Anshutz. It should arrive this week (I hope so because I'm shooting a competition next weekend) The owner says he can see impacts of .308 at 300 metres! I think that might be optimistic, but I hope it works ok for my 200 metre shoot. It is X40 so is on the limit, I'm hoping the german quality will help. It was a good price, because it's old, but looks good condition. I'll let you know how I get on.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 5:23am
At 40X you should be GTG, I see 200 yard .30 holes with a good 32X glass. The biggest problem is contrast. Bullet holes in black dont really show up well as its dark grey on black.
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 2:19pm
I realize this is a lil late since the OP has found a solution. I currently am using a Vortex Viper 15-45x60mm I can pick up 30 cal holes in paper @400m and .22 @200m. Just yesterday I identified 30cal hits on the man sized gong at 600m.

AFD
If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 1:38am
Well the scope has arrived and it is in very good condition. I will be testing it at the range this weekend because I have the regional 200 metre competition on Sunday. Hopefully it will do the job. Hope I shoot better than in the county qualifier, 106/200, that was not ideal!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 2:39am
Let us know how it goes. I test by looking at cross head screws on the dumpster fence. Luckily its exactly 100 yards away!Tongue
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 4:30am
Well the scope worked nicely, very clear picture at 200 metres. Also had a good result, which was probably  helped by being able to see the 5 practice shots. I shot 160/200 which was good enough for 4th place out of over 30 entries. There were 3 guys tied on 159 just behind me. It is only the third time I've ever shot at 200 metres so I am happy with the result. I know the rifle could better with someone more experienced. But I was able to inspect my targets after the shoot, and my groups are wide; which I think is a problem with me, not the rifle. So still got some work to do!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic