A few questions on my first enfield No.4 Mk.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few questions on my first enfield No.4 Mk.1
    Posted: July 23 2013 at 9:46pm
As far as I can tell its a No 4 Mk1 rifle made at Fazakerly in June of 1944. It was imported into the U.S. before 1968 because of the "England" stamp which was the pre '68 import stamp.

As for the numbers I don't think they are original! I have no recollection of Fazakerly using a "NA" prefix. They were making "UF" & "PF" series rifles in 1944. It might be that you're attaching a non related "N" to the "A" prefix, which was a Fazakerly series as well. Could the "N" be a part of a different stamp just close to the serial number's "A" prefix?

I'm guesssing from here on in, but it might have been sent to India or Pakistan (based on the paint, which looks more like glopped on Indian than Fazakerly factory finish which was much smoother & lighter.) & they renumbered a lot of rifles, so maybe its a Indian/Pakistani serial number they bodged up somehow?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Jack873 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack873 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 2:19pm
Hey everyone,
I asked about this on gunboards about a month ago, but didn't really get any responses. The two I got were basically the same answer to one of my questions, which I will omit from this post.
Does anybody have an answer to this please?

Manufacturer and date are worn but it I believe it says "No4Mk1 ROF(F) 6/44"
Apologizes for the bad lighting in some pictures.

I have a question about the serial#, manufacturer/date, and some markings. Nothing found on Google searches.

1.) There seems to be two serial numbers in a couple spots. On the underside of the stock, up towards the tip of the barrel, the serial# NA 20388 is given and serial# NA 20389 right under that. Also on the left hand side of the where the butt stock is attached the serial# NA 20388 looks like it's electro-penciled, but the serial# NA 20389 is stamped twice over that. The # on the magazine and bolt handle both say NA 20389. Why would there be two consecutive serial#'s?

2.) The rest are just some marks that I found on the stock/metal. Also, what would some green paint on the stock signify?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic