Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just5cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our Enfield
    Posted: August 04 2013 at 5:21am
Here are some photos of a 1945 Lee Enfield that my fiancee and I was given from her grandfather. Now I have been researching the Lee Enfield rifles for a few days now and I think I have gotten most of it figured out, but wanted to make sure and get some more info on it.

Heres a close up of the manufacture model and serial number.

It looks like its the original stock, but its been cut down and sanded where the metal clip would have been that would have held the top handle thats missing too.

Also it looks like the flash hider has been cut off and sanded down.

There are some weird stampings all over it that I cant make out (sorry for the pic quality).

I would like to know a little bit more info about the gun. I think its a real no5 because of the model and serial numbers look right, the weight reductions look right (based on what I have read), and the sight looks right (goes up to 800 yards). The stock and Flash hider have thrown me off, until I looked real closely at it, but then again I could be wrong. 

We have no plans to ever sell the gun, so I dont care if manufacture numbers match up, but does anyone know where I can find or know someone who would have an original no 5 top handle, stock clip, and hand guard? I only found one place online but they say they are out of stock. I would love to get this back to looking like it an original "Jungle Carbine".
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:08am
Do check headspace if the bolt is non-matching. Its a functional thing, not just cosmetic.

Try "the usual suspects" (Sarco, springfield Sporters & Numrich in the U.S. or Marstar in Canada). You can probably find & replace the flashider as well its just a (tight) pinned on interference fit.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:09am
It is a real No5 k1 Faz that at some point someone decided to cut down the stock, remove the hand guard and remove part of the flash hider.  Numrich arms, Springfield Sporters and Sarco should carry replacements. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:12am
Great minds!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SonnyB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:19am
Figuring out what all those weird little markings mean is one of the pleasures of owning these rifles. With a  magnifying glass, Wikipedia or a book by Ian Skennerton, it's amazing what you can learn. Ya gotta track these things down like a detective on a hot case. 
Regards,
Sonny

"Strike sure"
Just5cents View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just5cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:27am
Thanks Shamu and SW28fan for the responses. Ive checked online and everyone seems to have no4 MK 1 parts but nothing of the way of no5 parts. I checked Springfield Sporters and I will call them monday about the specific stock and flash hider parts. I did check the bolt and it looks like it fits really good. I should note that the ball end of the bolt handle has been bored out too, which I think would mean its a no5 bolt too.

Thanks guys for the info, I will call around and check the places you mentioned for parts. I will keep you all posted on the restore process. I hope I can get it done, I get the gun safety checked tomorrow. Her pap hasnt shot it in 7 years and hes had it for 50 and only shot it 5 times.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 8:56am
I bought a flash hider from Nimrich ...  should be no problem , it has 2 pins to drift out and put the new one on with the new pins that will come with the Flash hider 
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 10:45pm
The easiest way to get the flash hider off is to press it off after removing the pins. They can be on that barrel damn tight from years of being together.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just5cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 8:50am
Just an update, I just ordered the replacement handguards from sarco's online store, and a No 4 swivel clip. Will keep everyone posted. I also found a replacement flash hider on numerich but I wont be able to order it until next week. Thank you everyone for the help, I will post pics and keep you all posted. Im going to take it out to the range for the first time tomorrow! Cant wait!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 10:26pm
Great news.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just5cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 7:47am
Finally got it out to the range today! I love it!! Only problem is, I think my shoulder hates me right now. Is replacing the rubber butt pad worth it, or should I just invest in a recoil pad. 

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:29am
Replace the rubber butt pad, I may have a spare in "The Box" if the usual suspects can't come up with one.  If that does not do enough get one of the Past shields you wear on your shoulder. Most folks (I'm a part time Range Officer) do better with those then the slip on recoil pads.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:36pm
You definitely want to replace the butt pad. Most of them have hardened up over the years so they really don't do much good. It does make a bit of a difference but you will still have more recoil than any other Enfield variant.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 3:48am
not to be contrary here but id leave the original buttpad unless you can get new old stock to replace it with ,  just me not wanting to see its original bits lost , wear a recoil absorbing coat or one of those recoil cushions on your shoulder , 

that front sling swivel must go ,  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic