Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee Enfield Cock on Opening conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee Enfield Cock on Opening conversion
    Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:00am
Just curious - an old gunsmith/ex WWII armourer told me once that at one time conversion kits were available for Lee Enfields.  Does anyone know about these?  What did the kit comprise of?  How well did it work?  They may have been for the single stage trigger, I don't know.  It would have have reduced the trigger pull on the single stage trigger.

303Guy
graphic914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphic914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:10am
never heard of a conversion, my Enfield has a nice 2stage trigger
www.zazzle.com/graphic914
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:37am
Why would you bother?? the cock on closing is far better than cock on opening, there is one model of Lee Enfield that is cock on opening & i find it a pain to use as i have to bring it down off my shoulder to open.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 1:41pm
Good question.  I like the COC but I was told some didn't like it.  I did some quick time aimed cyling and firing with a WWII Mauser and it cycled surprisingly fast but it wasn't as slick.  No loss of aim picture.  I suppose the Lee Enfield so converted would have more bolt rotational resistance and increased wear which for a hunting rifle would be a moot point.
303Guy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:24pm
I've heard of a sort of reverse conversion for the P-14, M1917 "Enfield" which was a COO Mauser derivative, but so far not one for the Lee-Enfields.Question

I don't know if it would change the double stage trigger though. But there is/was a conversion for the Lee-Enfield, made in Canada I think that gave a true single-stage trigger without changing the cocking.

If only I could remember the brand!Embarrassed
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:34pm
Some of the .22 training rifle conversions have a cock on opening bolt.

I would expect that a proper conversion of a SMLE or No.4 to cock on opening would require welding and re cutting of the retractor cam to make it into a proper cocking cam.

PS
The early cock on opening conversions of the M1917 done by Remington for some versions of the Model 30 sporting rifles suffered from light pin strikes and misfires. This was a particular problem when chambered for African game cartridges with thick primer cups, and made worse due to dust fouling the grease on a firing pin shaft. Only real complaint ever heard against the rifle, other than the barrel tie down band affecting accuracy if the stock swelled in humid conditions.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:55am
Here's the brand I was thinking of:
"CanWest" sells for $135 Canadian.

The American distributor is:

mailto:dowarms@earthlink.net

its a replacement trigger assy. that gives an adjustable single stage pull. It does not change the cock on opening though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 1:16am
IIRC, that trigger assembly requires some wood in-letting to fit properly. Many owners would frown upon cutting any wood away from their rifle.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 1:22am
Its a trade off.

You can have an authentic rifle with the double-stage trigger & the 100% correct wood, but if you're changing to a single stage I guess you're willing to modify from box stock anyway so it's a kind of moot point to me.

Maybe with the Mk2 there's no inletting as there's the trigger hanger cut anyway?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 4:29am
I believe you can make a single stage trigger by modifying one of the fulcrum bumps of the trigger that apply pressure to the sear. When the trigger is pulled the pressure applied to the sear shifts from the first bump to the second one, giving the two stage feel. Removal of one bump would give single stage pull. The change in fulcrum point gives the change in weight, so make sure you modify the correct one! Personally I like the two stage pull. 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 5:00am
I suspect he was thinkinh of the cock on opening conversions for P-14/M1917 rifles.  I see no real advantage to them. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 7:00am
Armalon in the Uk produce some interesting Enfield variants in a variety of calibres. Some have a COO assembly fitted: http://www.armalon.com/public/products/item/2/.

Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 9:01am
It's the Lee Enfield I'm thinking of.  I know the P14 was done but I'm not familiar with the rifle or the trigger mechanism.

I had an AD once caused by rapid locking of the bolt while the striker was down.  Never do that!  I wanted to set the striker on half-cock and that required lowering the firing pin, locking the bolt then pulling the striker back.  Bad idea!  Never lower the firing pin on a chambered round!  It was light cast bullet load so there was no noise.  A full load would have hurt!

Anyway, the point is I then realised there was a lot of striking force even with that short striker travel.  It was the heavy bolt mounted safety striker.  The firing pin indent was less than normal.
303Guy
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 9:45am
Why-o-why did you feel the need to put the rifle into the half-cock position on a loaded chamber?
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:59am
Not my finest hour.  I was firing it into a test tube and it was awkward inserting the muzzle down the tube then closing the bolt over a chambered round so I thought I'd put it on half cock, then I could simply fully cock it.  Trouble is the extractor still has to climb the case rim so that's how I snapped it closed.  I could do this with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction which I did since resting the firing pin on a live primer is bad juju. 

On an aside, it's not unheard of for people to carry a gun with the striker or hammer down on a loaded round in the field.  Bad juju!  Not so bad with a floating firing pin.
303Guy
TRX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by 5thBatt 5thBatt wrote:

Why would you bother?? the cock on closing is far better than cock on opening

+100

Cock-on-closing is definitely the superior system, despite the "experts" and their incessant babble about cock-on-opening being the One True Way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic