Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P-14 loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-14 loads
    Posted: December 22 2006 at 1:40am
I did some reloading for my newly acquired P-14 and got some good results at the range.
I started with 48 grains of H4895 under a 150 Hornady, this load should NOT be fired in a No4 or No1 rifle.Cry
The 174 Hornady's loaded with 46 grains of H4895 was pleasant to shoot and accurate. All the P-14 loads were faster and the 26 inch barrel probably helped with upping the velocity.
A six o'clock hold on target with all the loads I tried will take game with no sight adjustment.Smile
This P-14 was made in 1917 by Winchester and was in the grease when I bought it. If any of our members can post a pic, email me at deerslayer@shaw.ca and I will forward a couple for you. Thanks in advance , and Merry Christmas to all........
Gerry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 5:41am
Hi 303 carbine
That is a little hot I am sure the action will hold BUT be carefull!! 
Cheers
Gerry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2006 at 3:30pm
The Beauty of the Pat 14 apart from the strenght of the Action is the one peice Stock it really lends it's self to haveing the barrel Floated! They really shoot like steam ! I owned one years ago that was rechambered to .458win !!!!! My 270-303 is built on a Pat 14 action & shoots pleasingly well ! Mind you I have always avoided Eddystones like the plauge !

Dave 
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 5:54am
I have backed down the loads for the P-14 by 3 grains. The 45 grain load was safe in my No4Mk1 so the P-14 should have no problems what so ever taking the same reloads.
Although the 48 grains of h4895 showed no pressure signs I backed it down anyways.
The M-17 rifles in 30-06 are the same action , so the P-14 should be able to handle the same pressure as the M-17 , correct??Ying%20Yang

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 7:26am
Originally posted by 303carbine 303carbine wrote:

I have backed down the loads for the P-14 by 3 grains. The 45 grain load was safe in my No4Mk1 so the P-14 should have no problems what so ever taking the same reloads.
Although the 48 grains of h4895 showed no pressure signs I backed it down anyways.
The M-17 rifles in 30-06 are the same action , so the P-14 should be able to handle the same pressure as the M-17 , correct??Ying%20Yang

Pat 14 & 17 are the same action even in lenght ! The differance is in the magizine (& of course the bolt head & extracter)  Trouble is I'm damned if I can remember the differance  I know one feeds at a angle & the other is flater ! (of course one is deigned to feed rimmed & the other rimless)

Ok a couple of phone calls later ....The Extractor on the Pat 14  is of a differant design and the Magizine is of a differant angle to the Pat 17 ! It easy to convert a Pat 14 to a rimless round ,but converting a Pat 17 to a rimmed round is frought with problems ! 

Dave
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 8:44am
Hey Dave , I guess I didn't clarify my question. The M-17 can be loaded up and nobody has concerns about high pressure.
The actions are of equal strength so why the concern of loading up the   P-14??Star
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic