Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another help request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xk9cop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another help request
    Posted: October 11 2013 at 10:20pm
Hi Gents, I have another info request. I have and have had othere Enfields but I have one thats not marked like the others (was told it was a No.4 Mk.1 when I got it). There are no markings on the right side of the band, it is stamped on the muzzle end of the barrel, a S/N of KA20029 is LIGHTLY stamped on the left side of the band and ETCHED on the back of the bolt handle and MK II stamped on the cocking piece. I'm assuming it may be a MK. II but you know what happens when you assume. I will try to get pics up.

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 10:52pm
The stuff stamped at the end of the barrel is the proof mark when it was sold out of service. The Mk II on the cocking piece has nothing to do with the rifle model itself. The difference between a No 4 Mk 1 and a No 4 Mk 2 is in how the trigger is hung. On a Mk 1 the trigger is hung on the trigger guard and on a Mk 2 the trigger is hung on the receiver body itself.
Xk9cop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xk9cop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 11:02pm
Okay, thanks. Any idea on the "KA" in the S/N, it's not list in any of the references I've seen.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 12:37am
Lots of times Enfields were "scrubbed" (old markings removed) when they went to a new country/importer or whatever. Because they were everywhere & cheaply available in the 50's lots of small countries just got bunches of them "gifted" (as in left behind), because its not commercially viable to ship a $5.00 rifle round the globe.

Many of these small countries re-marked in their own style so oddball serial numbers aren't that uncommon.

Mk stampings on parts.
This is done to confuse Brits & non-Brits alike! Many parts have a Mk number, not all the parts fitted to a gun will have the same mark number throughout. Like Casey Jones says in the Mutant Ninja Turtle movies "You have to know what a crumpet is to understand that"!Wacko

See, I said it was confusing!

On parts the Mk No refers to the version of that part, not correctness for that Mk of rifle. In fact you can have multiple Mk numbered parts for the same part on the same MK No of rifle (sights for example)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 6:26am
Get Stratton's book on that model, it gives you all the part Mk.'s and variations.
Xk9cop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xk9cop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 6:47am
Thanks, I greatly appriciate it.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 3:44pm
do post more photos , we are interested in your rifle and how much it conforms to its original status , this is after all a sharing site , 
MustanGrande View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustanGrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 9:20am
I'm fairly certain that the Mk.2 on the cocking piece is actually part of the part number for that piece, similar to the Mk2 or Mk3 volley sights. 

The early No.4s had the Mk1 cocking piece, which had a little knob to aid in grip.

And the rest had the flat Mk2 cocking piece, like yours. (and mine) The reason for the change was most likely ease of manufacture.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic