Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing a No1.Mk3* barrel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing a No1.Mk3* barrel
    Posted: October 15 2013 at 10:09am
I need to know what tools to use. I know I need a couple extra bolt heads and a couple headspace gauges. I've heard that there is a wrench for the receiver and such but what is a good step by step process. I'd like to do this myself. I've heard that some of the tools though are a bit costly for a one time use though.

Any information is good. I've looked around the site some but I can't find any information.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 11:14am
A good thread to start !!  I will be watching and reading this one for sure !!  Hope some one here can give you and us the proper info !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 2:58pm
You will need an action (receiver) wrench and a barrel vice. Many a rifle has been ruined with stillsons and a vice.
Generally I would say that it's not worth buying the gear for a one off job.
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 9:49pm
I can't even find the tools online. I am going to do this myself some how. Just need a method of operation. I plan on documenting the process as well. I figure it would make an interesting thread. Ultimate goal is to create a rifle that doesn't print like a shotgun at 50 yards.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:29am
Barrel vices aren't too hard to find. They usually come with a set of several adapters for different barrel diameters & tapers.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226100/wheeler-engineering-barrel-vise-with-3-wood-bushings

Action wrench really is essential to prevent buggering the receiver. The Enfield one isn't going to be the most common one either.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 4:02am
I'm more interested in the action wrench currently, I can jimmy a barrel vice pretty easily here at the house. I cannot find one for the life of me.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 4:29am
There are two of them for sale right now on Gunbroker.com
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 6:08am
I cannot seem to locate them. I don't have an account there anyway. If I did, I think the local dealer would get pretty annoyed by all the packages being dropped off at his door step all the time.

I do appreciate the help so far guys.

I'll get some pictures of the gun in question that way I can at least get something interesting in this thread.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 6:13am
I could sell you an action wrench and barrel jaws, both of which I manufacture but there is considerably more to this procedure than unscrewing a barrel. You need a big vice and may also need fine shim.
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 6:38am

This is the rifle in question. The bore is just really over sized and the bullets pretty much bounce down the barrel, resulting in rather poor accuracy. Now some may view this rifle as a waste of cash BUT I do not do this for the money. I just want to bring this rifle back to life.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 6:55am
Can't tell much of your rifle from those photos but it looks a nice gun. Do you have another barrel to screw in?
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 7:35am
Thanks. Hopefully I'll have the details of the barrel pretty soon. Richard/SIA has one that I'm hoping to get.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 8:55am
Well ,I must say that shop is not messy enough !!!!!!  You should have a look at mine !!!!! stuff is piled all over !!!!
Your Wife must not come into your shop or store nothing in there ????
Cant rightly say its all my Wife's fault , My work bench is a mess in the gun shop !!! LOL!!!!  Please !! no smoking in gun shop and definitely near the work bench !!!!!!!!! I must have a half pound of spilled powder on it by now !!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 9:40am
An action wrench is easy to make from plate if you handy. the vice blocks are a little more difficult but for a one off job I have used wooden blocks. I have never had to use wooden blocks on a lee enfield as I have my fathers rebarreling gear but you could give wood blocks a go.
As Homer said, there is a bit more to it than screw one out and the other in. I would look around for someone to show you how to do the first one. It is probably a bit much to put in a step by step post anyway. Too much typing for this one finger typist anyway.
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 9:41pm
Forgot to post pictures of the barrel I received from Richard/SIA. I'll get some pictures of it soon and post them when I get the chance. Pretty nice barrel with a bit of pitting in the throat. Nice tight crown with very sharp lands and grooves though.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 1:48am
im watching this thread with interest - not contemplating such a project , but interested in edification of the process , love learning more 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic