Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1863 Tower Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrrstriker29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1863 Tower Enfield
    Posted: October 18 2013 at 12:32pm
Gentelmen, Thank you for accepting me into the group.  I have recently purchased a 1863 Tower percussion cap Enfield rifle.  There are a few things on the weapon I do not understand.  1.  a brass 3 on the top of the stock just behind the barrel. 2.  There is a very small 45 stamped above the 1863 tower in front of the hammer. 3. There is a small metal plate with the name of FRANK D ASSO on the left side of the rifle on the stock opposite side of the crown behind the hammer. There are only 2 bands around the barrell having a sling swivel attached to each. All of the other rifles of this type I have seen have 3 bands around the barrell.  Can anyone tell me what these items mean.  I already know that the 25 on the left side of the barrell means a .577/58 Cal.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 7:25pm
Sriker, first off-welcome
I own a Tower as well, and may impart SOME info here.
Your right - it should have 3 bands. 1st band & trigger guard are the only places swivels are to be found.
The two middle bands are of different sizes & have slight cut away to accommodate the rammer.
What is the overall length of the rifle?
Whats the overall length of the barrel? (Pics, by the way would help a lot)
Does it have a rammer with it?
What are the sights like?
Do you have a bayo with it?
Sounds like your buddy FRANK was the guy that either modified it, or at least owned it.
Obviously you haven't had opportunity to shoot it yet..but what is the barrel condition?
What type of finish is on the barrel?
I'm off hunting for a week - I'll deal with this when I get back
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 9:45pm
Good luck hunting Hoadie. Be safe.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Eggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 5:55am
What you hunting with the Tower Hoadie ?
Devout Yorkshireman
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 10:01am
No, Hoadie is Hunting with his sporterd Enfield.... I seen and held his tower though !!!  bought took out the light with that smoke pole !!! LOL!  and I might add its a Beauty !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 4:46pm
would love to see some photos of your tower , 
hrrstriker29 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrrstriker29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 6:05am
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

DUDE! Bit personal there..
( I dunno how to work the pic thingy on this forum)
Hoadie
the "Technosaur"
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Eggy Eggy wrote:

What you hunting with the Tower Hoadie ?

I COULD hunt most anything with it..deer, moose, bear.Anything else I'd probably have to lick the minie-ball to get any food! (.577 makes quite a splat! )
Haven't used it fer hunting to now. But now that she's "retired", maybe I will.
I still have lots of lead, & I own a smelter & mould.
Just a matter of getting up enough gumption, I guess
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 2:37pm
as you well know - im not inclined to diverting to such epithelial areas , but since we also have such a good rapore ill rephrase - id love to see photos of your rifle , and as for you hoadie .....

good luch with that , and id be happy to help you retrieve that when you shoot it , we are only young once ; go shoot that sucker 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 8:20pm
I do shoot it by times, up at the cabin in summer. Got a little range out back, make some smoke & noise with it.
(Dang powder getting expensive! )
Hoadie
hrrstriker29 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrrstriker29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 3:59am
I am haveing trouble posting pictures of the musket, as soon as I figure out how to post the pictures I will.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 9:15am
in the meantime - measure it. length of barrel, & then overall length.
What type of butt plate does it have?
Do you have the ram rod with it?
Hoadie
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 9:20am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

DUDE! Bit personal there..
( I dunno how to work the pic thingy on this forum)
Hoadie
the "Technosaur"

I was supposed to teach Hoadie how to post pics on here when I was at his house !!!  Sorry Hoadie Them Damn Canadian Beers !!! Yea thats it , I blame the Beer !!!!  LOL!!!!

Go set you up an account at photobucket !!!  and then you can post pics on here !!! then go to gear in right hand top corner , then go to get links hit that , and then go to the bottom IMG code window , click on it and it will say copied .. then come here , right click and hit post !!! 

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 2:21pm
now thats an interesting enfeild , tell us about it 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 8:38pm

now thats an interesting enfeild , tell us about it 

Well...its getting married in the spring.
Its ONE of a kind (she's a copy-based on one called "LISA")
All in all, a sturdy, well adjusted one!
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic