Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front sight adjuster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front sight adjuster
    Posted: November 06 2013 at 7:53am
I know the original front sight adjusters, either ordnance issued or an AJ Parker tool are tough to find. Have any of you found an aftermarket tool for this job? Or, have you made a tool for this job? If you have made the tool, what materials did you use, and what fine screw thread pitch and tpi did you use? Also, is there a tool for this job from another rifle maker that can adapt to the Lee Enfield? I would use a brass drift punch, but am afraid of mashing something and marring it forever. Thanks guys!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 10:58pm
No problem using a brass drift, just make sure you support the front sight block when you do it.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 11:02pm
All I have ever used is a brass drift and a hammer.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 3:06am
You can buy them (new production) from Valmont Firearms in the UK. I prefer using the tool as it is easier to calculate how far you move the sight blade when turning the screw, the brass drift technique often requires multiple hits back and forth to get it spot on. If you calculate the amount of drift required and know the TPI of the thread, you can do 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn etc and know exactly how far you have moved the blade.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 3:16am
Thank you, Zed!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 6:38am
There is a fellow making them for No4s; and other rifles. I just got one for $25 including shipping:
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 7:35am
Thanks for the link! This seller also makes and sells front sight adjusters for the jungle carbine as well as P-14/17 Enfields and #1 rifles as well as other milsurp rifles.. Nice looking machining, I am ordering one today. Thanks again SW28fan!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 10:59am
that looks to be a nice one , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 10:29pm
Nice! is the screw thread pitch the same as the original so the tables will work with it (please, pretty please)?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 10:45pm
There is quite a variety of tools available from that seller. I think I am going to need to give them some business as well.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 1:23am
Looking at the pic I don't think I want that one. There seems to be a design error as you have to remove the sight protector to make the clamp ("cramp" in BritSpeak) fit to the barrel! Oops! I guess they cut the opening slot too narrow?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 4:22am
Still is more precise than drifting with a punch.It is always that last bit of tweeking that gets me and if I save some ammo it will be worth it.
Have a Nice Day
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 4:54am
That's true. You could probably get the opening reworked locally to fit over the protector as well, but I'd prefer it to be working as sold.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 5:03am
I've never seen that as an issue mainly because I am so used to sighting in No 1's where you have to pull the whole nosecap off. Removing the front sight protector of a No 4 is a lot less hassle than that.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 1:24pm
Well the adjust arrived a fe weeks ago and I was very impressed it is made out of steel and has the eneral finish of good craftsmanship. I took it and My No4 Mk1/2 Faz to the range to do the final tweeking of the zero. I fire five rounds of my match load prone since there often is a bit of a shift in zero from the bench to prone. Of the five rounds: two X-rings, two 10 rings and one 9 ring.  I decided to leave well enough alone and the adjuster went un-used. It was a tad bit of a let down.  Ordinarily I would have almost done a cartwheel to shoot that well. I suppose that if I didn't buy it all the shots would be 6 inches high and 8 inches to the left.Wink
Have a Nice Day
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic