Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jungle Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickthebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jungle Carbine
    Posted: November 13 2013 at 9:41am
I have a Mk.1 No.5 serial number BJ8312 dated 1948. How unusual is the 1948 date? I read they were only made until 1947.It has all matching numbers including the magazine. It does have a U-King import stamp.
Detroit-1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroit-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 8:59pm
Can we see a picture?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 10:42pm
yes , need to see photos , good ones , please
nickthebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickthebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 12:23am
Sorry I don't have any way to post pictures. I'm not concerned with what it's worth as I don't intend to sell it. I do know that it is a real jungle carbine not a cut down something else. It also has the F.M.P. (Malaysia Police) stamp on the socket. I'm mainly interested in the 1948 date stamp and information on how late the guns  were actually made. It's in good condition with a bright shiny bore.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 4:50am
They were not made past 1947. Was the rifle scrubbed and re-marked? That serial number indicates a BSA of 1946 vintage.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 4:51am
Fazakerley stopped production in 1947; but BSA stopped in 1948. According to Skennerton's "bible"

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 4:52am
Seemingly legitimate 1948 dated no5's have been posted before on various forums over the years. They always draw much discussion but I don't recall definitive evidence either way. The BJ prefix in the serial number doesn't sound right to me for late production but I'm not sure. I don't particularly like them and never take much notice.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 8:54am
i agree , i seem to recall BSA serial prefix ended in BM , and i thought i recalled that to be 47 , ill not say it cannot be , as i learned long ago never to say "never" or "always" when it comes to enfields , but i question this one , is there an FTR marking associated with the 48 date ? 
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 9:13am
The BJ prefix is 1946. I am thinkin the 6 in 1946 on your rifle may of been miss stamped. Hard to tell without photos of some kind. I know the stamping on my BSA carbines are not the greatest so that's what I am leaning towards.

My 1946 has matching numbers, but they restamped the serial on the buttstock cup and got the last digit wrong. I can still see the old serial under the "new" one and the old matches the one on the bolt. This is one of the things that leans me to believe that OP's rifle was accidentally double struck or possibly got stamped with the wrong number.
Clay Peters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Peters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 12:32pm
It would be nice to see pictures. I have a "jungle" Carbine from 11/45. The date should be stamped on the rifle with the serial number. See my earlier post for location.

They are nice rifles. I enjoy mine.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 12:43am
Y'know..theres a couple of "abnormalities" with MY No5, I've been meaning to ask about, myself.
I've had this rifle for a while now(The veteran I bought it from claimed it was the actual rifle he used in the Mau Mau.)
I never could / did figure out why the stamps were "scrubbed" off. However-with a magnifier & bright light-they are still legible as:
No 5 Mk1 ROF Then off to the right, is a feeble "H".(I say feeble, because these nos were etched in with some sort of electric pencil)
Off to the left there appears to be a "7" followed by /46.
But, then -under the bolt..in small letters, its clearly stamped "1954".
The numbers all match - W8059.There is ONE war ministry stamp on it.But right side of wrist has NOTHING, left wrist only has serial #.

VEERRRRY interesting. What knowledge can you impart, O great oracle of the forum?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 12:56am
You rang?
Tongue
The later Faz rifles were only marked on the flat left hand side of the reliever, at some point, I forget when, they switched from stamping to the electric pencil marking & some of them were really faint & shallow.

I wonder if the serial number on the wrist was somehow done during import or something?

Bolt date is interesting though. My '55 Faz No 4 has a bolt stamped with an "F 54" under the handle, but is serial number matched to the '55 rifle.  I assume the bolts were dated at manufacture but only numbered to the action when they were grabbed from a big bin o' bolts & fitted to a specific rifle?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 2:57am
Well, my bolt matches the number of the rifle..I just cant figger the 1954 UNDER the bolt handle
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 3:54am
Fazakerley never stamped the numbers on No5s they were all ep'd my 4/44 s/n 524 no prefix is ep'd if your No5 has a stamped s/n then it has been renumbered.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 4:07am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Well, my bolt matches the number of the rifle..I just cant figger the 1954 UNDER the bolt handle
Hoadie

The Unissued BSA made replacement bolt body I got for my SMLE had 1956 deeply stamped on the underside of the bolt handle root. In the same spot as a PAA number would have been but in a very different font.
These were advertised as 1950's production bolt bodies.

Armorers could number replacement bolt bodies they had personally fitted to action bodies and field proofed.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 6:51am
My 1917 BSA SMLE has that same type of stamp, LE Owner. I figured it was a replacement bolt and that was year of production. Only issue is that someone forgot to number the bolt to the rifle, where the serial number would normally be is totally blank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic