Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another Noob Seeking Info-Photos Added in a Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Noob Seeking Info-Photos Added in a Reply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:00pm
IIRC only FAZ made mk2s , and did the FTRs to convert the mkI/2 & 3 conversions , so i think it reasonable to assume it was their equipment the pakis got [since they made mk2s] 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:00pm
I was curious on some points so I cracked open some books and looked some things up. In the book The Lee-Enfield: A Century of Lee-Metford & Lee-Enfield Rifles & Carbines, on page 371, I found the info I was looking for. Ian Skennerton states that Pakistan made both No 4 Mk 1 and No 4 Mk 2 rifles. He goes on to say that Charles Stratton referenced tooling from BSA-Shirley being sold to Pakistan and that Herbert Woodend (former curator of the MOD Pattern Room) referenced the sale of tooling from Fazakerley to Pakistan. Skennerton states in the book that since BSA only made Mk 1's and Fazakerley was the only factory producing Mk 2's, and that the tooling isn't quite the same that it seems to indicate that tooling from both plants went to Pakistan.

Machodoc, I wanted to address a couple of your other items too:
  • I've seen at least one other photo of a painted rack number on an Enfield butt stock.  It was a Pakistani rifle, but it was painted on far more carefully.

Countries all over the world painted rack numbers on rifles. It really isn't much of an indication where it has been. 

• If this is Pakistani, would the Savage bolt be correct, or added later?

No, the Savage bolt came from a different rifle and there is no way to tell when it was put in. I would make sure it is properly fitted to the receiver as well. Also, we don't know for certain yet who made your rifle since it looks to have been scrubbed at some point. Further examination of marks under the wood may be helpful. It is actually more likely it was built at Fazakerley. Seeing these rifles scrubbed and re-marked isn't terribly unusual though.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 12:38am
That's basically the same info I found. Pakistan got tooling from Shirley in '47 because they were still eligible for U.K. aid. When Faz switched out in '56 I assume they got the tooling Faz no longer used or needed.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic