Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 British .303 Jungle Carbine No.5.Mk.I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWESOMECOOLTART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 British .303 Jungle Carbine No.5.Mk.I
    Posted: December 30 2013 at 11:44am
I recently inherited a 1947 Enfield British .303 Jungle Carbine No.5.Mk.I. Can anyone provide info on this gun including value? Hope I did the picture correctly. Thanks in advance.
AwesomeCooltart

Austin

"Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

"Everything around you that you call life is made up by people that are no smarter than you."
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:06pm
A whole lot of factors affect value. Is it a true No 5 (proper lightening cuts, etc.)? Does it have the proper rear sight? Does it have the proper bolt? Does the bolt serial number match that on the receiver? What is the condition of the bore? Even your geographical location has an affect. If you could post more pictures we could help a bit more. General ballpark figure I have been seeing is $350-$600 based on condition and all the above items stated.
AWESOMECOOLTART View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWESOMECOOLTART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:25pm
I appreciate the response! I know all the numbers match, pretty sure its the correct site and the bore looks really good (just actually cleaned it last night). There are numbers and symbols all over the thing. I will get some more detailed pics and post them tonight.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 11:10pm
.. ahem, & its NOT a "gun". It's a "rifle".
Another factor that Bear didn't disclose..is it does actually make a difference to the dollar value, depending on where you live.
It would seem that the "value" is greater Stateside than say mid to Eastern Canada.
In Blighty, they are considerably dearer.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 11:12pm
...WOOOPS! Missed that part in Bear's posting about geographical location. My bad..disregard..never mind..(where's my dang glasses!?)
Hoadie
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 2:53am
i think you added to the thread hoadie , 

assuming its real , and there is no indication in your single photo that it is not , it will have been made by either FAZAKERLY or BSA , 

the FAZ rifles 1944-1947 are marked with electro pencil on the left side of the receiver , it will be something like this ;
"no5 mkI ROF [F] " and serial number
with the date below that mo/yr 

the BSA 1945-1947 will be marked with stampings on left side of buttsocket , it will have something like this ;

M47C  (thats the war code for BSA)
serial number 
date 

observed serial number prefix for BSA in 1947 is BK , observed prefixs for FAZ in 1947 were Y , Z , AA , AB , AC, 
  BTW my no5 is a FAZ AC prefix 10/47 , near end of production , FAZ out-produced BSA by a little over twice  ,      
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 4:41am
A mint condition #5 can fetch as much as £500 to £600 in the uk depending on the dealer.  Thats around $800 to $1000 us dollars. A #4mk1 in decent condition can cost around £450 thats $750 us dollars.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWESOMECOOLTART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 2:14am
Ok so doing this from my phone so couldn't resize. Below is the link to my Photobucket profile. Just click on the "1947 Enfield Pics" link below. Couldn't believe how many different markings are on these rifles (there you go Hoadie lol)...

1947 Enfield Pics

Austin

"Everything around you that you call life is made up by people that are no smarter than you."
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 9:04pm
WOW! I LIKE that picture format!!
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 5:37am
me too - its a BSA , the M47C & M47A are BSA war codes for their facilities , the BSA works were dispersed during the war to reduce bombing damage , 

M47C from the wrist and other bits is the shirley plant , M47A from the stock is small heath facility , M47B would be redditch facility , buttplate marked M78 is an elkington part , 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWESOMECOOLTART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 6:35am
Thanks guys! Yeah my wife has a nice camera so I was able to take some good pics.  I guess the rifle would also take a bayonet.  Is there anything else that would have typically come standard with this model? 
Austin

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 6:56am
nice webb sling would be in order , and yes a no5 bayo would be a great accoutrament , 

your bayonet would be the third from the left here -   

and the sling wants to look and be fitted so -

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWESOMECOOLTART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 7:08am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

nice webb sling would be in order , and yes a no5 bayo would be a great accoutrament , 

Thanks A square 10! As always I appreciate the info provided on this site.  You all really know your stuff Beer
Austin

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 10:12pm
And A_square has some of the best dang pictures too! I was waiting for those to pop up again
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 10:13pm
I'm SO jealous..it makes me sick to my pants!
Hoadie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWESOMECOOLTART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

Hey A square 10, Any idea what this goes to?
Bayonet
Austin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic