Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Enfield MKIII* for me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyliven88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Enfield MKIII* for me
    Posted: March 01 2014 at 5:29am
he!!o Forum members. A little bit about me, I'm 20 years into working for Ford Motor Co, living in the great (cold) state of Michigan. I've been into shooting/collecting/smithing firearms for some time now, I have a few Mosin's, some SKS's, Makarov's and some various shotguns and other rifles and pistols. But I am totally new to the Enfield. I acquired this for $90 with 30 rds. I haven't stripped it done yet so maybe there are some more markings that I haven't discovered. I can't find any import markings which means it was a bring back? I will be refurbishing the furniture when the weather warms as my workbench is in the garage. The bore is in great shape, bolt action is nice and smooth and the trigger action is smooth also. The wood is real shinny from she!!ac? Also there is a split in the wood that needs some serious attention. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated...Enjoy the pics

[URL=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/jasonrapp1970/media/100_1093_zps30bdba0f.jpg.html][/U
RL]

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 6:39am
Austrian Militia police (Gendarmerie). Nice find

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 8:45am
Very nice and the Austrian Militia police (Gendarmerie) is a great plus!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 8:48am
i was going to mention it serving with the austrian police as well , but beat to it i see , its been thru an FR , nice example of a BSA built mkIII* in 1918 and looks all there , all matching and in nice condition , the crack will be fixable with a little careful work , 

OH and welcome to the crowd 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 8:54am
First a big welcome to our merry band.
Second you got a very good deal, I mean a very good deal!
As Shamu noted it was issued to the Austrian police Post WWII and not many have that mark.
I wonder if any Lithgows got issued to the Austrians that would make them Austrian Austrailian Enfields.

As for the stock denatured Alcohol disolve she!!ac avoid sanding  if necessary use some steel wool.
Wood glue or epoxy should deal with the spilt and give it a good coat of Linseed oil boiled or raw when you are done.   If your ammo looks like it is surplus then it most likely has corrosive primers.
There are some exceptions post what the headstamp says.
I hope you enjoy the place.
Oh, and btw I drive a Ford Explorer.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
easyliven88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyliven88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 9:58pm
Thanks for the replies fella's, its definitely gonna need some elbow grease and TLC. I believe it'll be a really good looker and a very nice shooter when done.  Happy shooting!!!! 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 10:45pm
Nice rifle. I am surprised no one else made mention of the tropical paint peeking out from under the wood. Make sure and be careful not to remove that paint from the metal, it is a part of the rifles long history.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:13am
Yours is 2 years newer than mine!
Nice looking piece.
BTW -I took a "package" from Ford Motor in Oakville.
Couldn't wait to escape!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:44am
$90.00 with 30 rounds??  Cool! That was a great deal!! Wish I could find a nice one with ammo for that price today!!!!

Congrats on the find!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyliven88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 7:36am
I noticed that paint and didn't know what it was. Just did some digging and sure enough, they painted were painted green for anti-corrosion in the Pacific and North African Theatres. Pretty sweet.  I'll post some more photos once it disassembled to share whats underneath.   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyliven88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 12:56am
Some more markings found underneath the spring attached handguard...
Top of magazine follower..

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 11:14am
good point bear , i saw it and did not think to mention it , its a vintage characteristic of service in the more tropical climates , indonesia perhaps , the aussies can speak to it more accurately than i 
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 6:02pm
Normal preventative measure applied to firearms in WWII.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 5:36am
Welcome to the forum. You have a very nice rifle there! And at that price, a real bargain. A bit of TLC on the woodwork and it will look great. Let us know how well it shoots!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 9:45am
holy cats muffet - where do you keep finding those great credentialed fun little facts ? 

it was what i was hoping for tho , thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic