Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

p14

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: p14
    Posted: February 03 2006 at 6:55am
i am in the process of buying a p14 sporter.could any member offer advice on the rifle.it is in 303.i would like to shoot it at bisley upto 1000yds.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:11am
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

i am in the process of buying a p14 sporter.could any member offer advice on the rifle.it is in 303.i would like to shoot it at bisley upto 1000yds.

First up Welcome to the site Timbo ! You have made a great choice on the Pat 14 on several counts the first being that it is a amazingly strong action (I had one that had been converted to .458win  years ago ) Secondly it has a one piece stock wich adds to it's acuracey! Designed in 1913 it was to replace the SMLE in the British armoury & was chambered in .276,but with the outbreack of WW1 they were rechambered for .303 & became a snipers rifle in both WW1& 2 . My experiance has been nothing but good ! During WW2 Pat14's were reburnished by companies like Purdey & Greener & this is stamped on the reciver ! A mate of mine had one that had been through Purdey & used to boast that ,he owned a Purdey ! They would be a excellent choice for the  1000yd Full bore match !

Dave
timbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 6:34am

thanks dave,

i look foreward to shooting it once i have got my fac variation.

i dont know what the law is in aus, but in brit we need a reason for every firearm.so i am selling 1 rifle to buy the p14.its a bit of a pain,but thats the law.

timbo. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 10:13am
We've had acouple of hicups withour laws but they have'nt dropped that restrction on us in South Auz yet  I do'nt think you'll ever regret buying a Pat14 though ! I must admit, it has always been a dream of mine to shoot at Bisley

Dave

Barry in IN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry in IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 5:39am

Hi, I just found this place!

Timbo- Did you get it?

I just got my first P14 a couple of weeks ago.  It was a case of "dumb luck".  I got it at an auction where only one other person knew what it was. The auctioneers didn't.  They called it a "7.65/8mm military rifle", and had a tag on it saying same. 

So I got a Winchester-made P14 for what I feel was a good price, and have been reading about them ever since.  I've had a No. 4 for several years, but knew little about the P14, except it was the basis for the U.S. M1917.  Quite an interesting history our rifles have.  It's sure one of those "i wonder what would have been...." kind of things.

I still think the no. 4 was a better military rifle though.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 12:47pm
G'day Barry welcome to the site  pull up a log & join the rest of the crew

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry in IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 7:16am

Thanks!

I got some reading/catching up to do around here.

303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 6:51am
Welcome Barry, this is a very friendly site with lots of info and some really nice people.        
timbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:12am

yes barry,i got the p14 on sat 11/3/06.my fac variation came sat morning,then after work i went straight to the gun shop.its in amazing condition considering 90 yrs old.its been made into a sporter with a new stock,different open sights and parker-hale scope mounts.problem is that i wont know how it shoots until may,at the phoenix meeting at bisley.

thanks dave for the info,i dont think mines a purdey but i wish it was.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:39am

Hiya newguy's !

You've found a great site here !

Is there any photo's of that P14 ??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry in IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:31am
I took a couple of mine, but they were pretty poor so I dumped them.  I'll have to try again.
Kawahauler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kawahauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 7:46pm
My dad gave me his P14 Enfield Sporterized Centurion 7mm Rem. Mag. the last time he came to visit.  I will get some photo's posted.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 12:51pm
interesting resurrection of an old thread , nice looking sported pattern 1914 rifle , welcome to the site 

Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 4:37pm
Welcome to the site. I have a couple of P14 one is an Eddystone, the other a Winchester. I shot cast bullets in mine so I'm not in to 1000 yd shot. Both mine are large bore .312 to .313. For awhile I had trouble with the Winchester, it grouping reminded me of a load of buckshot. Then I ran a .321 bullet through my .314 resizing die, they tighten the group up. I should have picked up on it quicker I run a .314 dia.  205 grain cast G/C bullet, at around 2000 fps in the Eddystone and you can drive tacks with it.  Jacketed stuff I know comes in three diameters .311,.312 and .313. My guess is you will probably get your best accuracy from the larger diameter projectile, unless at some point the gun has been re-barreled. You might want to slug the barrel to check its diameter. Good luck.  
Gun Nut 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kawahauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 10:58am
Thank you.  It has a Pentax MC (Multi Coat) 4x scope mounted to it.  For deer hunting at 100-200 yds. should work perfect.  I will be shooting a Hornady 7mm Rem. Mag. 154gr Interbond bullet.  At the range shooting 100yds I am grouping inside a half-dollar.   I love the fact that it is a restored military rifle.  Thanks again for the encouragement.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kawahauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 2:57pm
Thank you for the welcome.  Are there a lot of Enfield P14 Sporters on this site?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic