Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martini Enfield strength

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martini Enfield strength
    Posted: March 09 2014 at 4:43pm

I saw this ad in Ebay recently that has Martinis stating they were popular for converting to modern varmint calibers.
I've had a few Martini Cadets in various centrefire calibers but what calibers these have been?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 8:41pm
I know that the Martini Henry was originally a .577/450 black powder cartridge.
It was re-calibered when better powders came available.
There was .577/450 Boxer Henry cartridge, replaced by Martini Henry cartridge, replaced by .303.
There was also a conversion to a shotgun version, but I'm not sure what guage that would have been.
I know there was a Martini-Henry model made for the Turks in the States, but I don't know a lot about that.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 7:21am
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant what calibers would American gunsmiths have converted it to. I was curious to see if it have safely been converted to a case like the .220 Swift or .224 Win as they are semi-rimless. 
I have seen 7.62x54 Russian and I have a .35Win with a swap barrel in 6.5 x 54R Swedish. I use the russian semi-rimmed case to create a case that is near as dammit to the swedish, only 1mm shorter but it goes through the standard dies nicely.
I calculated the pressure on the base of a full house .450 577 and the base pressure of a 6.5x55 and it is less so figure it would be safe. No problems and it is loaded to European loadings (as per Norma and Lapua) not the wimpy SAAMI specs.
Long branch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 11:20am
A gunsmith friend of mine did one up in 8mm rem mag once. Don't know how he worked out extraction, but the gun performed very well for 3 shots, before the owner brought it back to be rebarreled to 300 win mag.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 11:57am
Cheers.
.300 Win mag is a fairly substantial jump from the humble .450 577 or .303 British.
He may have used the same tilting ejector mod that a WA gunsmith promoted years ago to facilitate extraction.
The pivot hole in the extractor is made oval so the bolt as it descends tilts the extractor sideways into the extractor groove. One extractor arm is cut off so there is only one to grip the case.Im not good at Photoshopping but this is something like it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 1:10pm
I get the idea, thanks. He also told me that they make a great .45/70.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 10:19pm
This is one of my Henrys

See Below

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 11:04pm
Ive tried to rotate this for an hour with no luck no matter which way up the file is saved to my laptop it comes bout upside down in the post.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 5:10pm
This pic is way oversize, besides being distorted for a percentage of forum members, that is the reason you are having trouble editing.

Try resizing much smaller, crop the excess if you need to, whilst ever it is at this size you will have no joy.Wink
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 5:17pm
This is your pic reworked to suit the uploader.

Strewth, I must be in a good mood today.LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 6:26pm
Thanks Ill do that next timeThumbs Up
RCS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 11:13pm
Martini cartridges 303 Mark V1 9397 Morris for comparison) 577/450 coil wrap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 12:01am
I always heard that .450/577 had a horrendous kick. They made use of some special powder recipe. Apparently, guns had to be reproofed after its introduction, as it was considerably more powerful than previous powder. It was supposedly very clean, as black powder goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 12:25am
Ive got all 3 of those by my Morris rounds are the long case.
Ive not shot a .450 but know a block who used them on pigs. He said they were very effective.
RCS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 1:13am
Concerning Martini action strength, the Turks installed a steel strap on the rear of their Martini actions after upgrading their 7,65mm cartridge in the early 1900's. Do not know if they used a lot of their Martini rifle in 7,65mm.

During the 1970's Navy Arms imported some nice case colored Martini large actions from W.W. Greener for the 45-70 and 444 Marlin cartridges

Some years ago I rebarreled a Cadet action to 218 Bee using a heavy short (20 inches) barrel. I did use a smaller firing pin. The scope mounts have to be high, a lot of bullpups were built using the Cadet action too

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 12:11pm
The Cadet action I have a lot of experience with Ive 2 in .223R and a .22WRM I had a 25-20 improved a 221 fireball a .22 LR target , a 6mm PS (I made my own case from a shortened 30-30 case and necked it down). 
Id love to see a bullpup Cadet.
Thanks for the info on the Turkish 7.65, Ill check that out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic