Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No4 MK1 Almost Done (Long Post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toten Kopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No4 MK1 Almost Done (Long Post)
    Posted: April 02 2014 at 10:57am
Yes, I'm a newbe to this forum so please bear with me.

I have had this rifle (No4 Mk1) for a long time (got a very good deal on it).  It was basically a safe queen, not that it was in great condition but I never used it.  It just sat there...waiting.

So, I decided as a winter project to refurbish/update/re-work the old work-horse into something that I would want to use.  The furniture was oil soaked and some of the parts were rusted/worn.  But I felt it had potential.  It passed the bullet test for the bore, so I decided to go for it.

I would like to say that I wanted a (T) version but to be honest, I could neither afford that kind of rifle or the original items that made up a (T).

Some may condem me for what I did but for me the rifle is what I have wanted without the cost.  I purchased the (T) replica scope mount w/ pads and a replica Russian PEM scope with 1/4" adjustments.  I also purchased a new set of furniture and parts to replace those that were worn/rusted badly.

I re-worked the scope mount so that the PEM scope would fit and after that I started doing the bedding thing (at least 8 operations for bedding).  One thing about bedding an Enfield, you can't do everything at once.

Adding the replica cheek piece finally finished my project.  I am now at the point at finding the "Sweet Spot" load for this rifle.  But I'm having difficulty finding the Sierra 174gr. Match bullets, so I'm trying to the best I can with what I have.

As a comparison, I shot the rifle with the same load as I'm using when finished.  The best I could do was (for 5 shots) 2.349" at 100 yards.  When the rifle was finshed, I had 1.379" for 5 shots at 100 yards.  Which exceeds the requirements of a (T) model at 100 yards.  I am hoping that with futher load work I am able to reduce that size.  Time will tell.

I got most of my information about accuracy from here...

He knows more about the Enfields than I ever will.  I have added a few pictures of the rifle.  I will say that now I have what I want, I will be shooting it a lot more (no more safe queen).

A couple of pictures of my work.

"It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 9:26pm
Nice! I have its twin sister.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 3:35am
I think you did a fantastic job Please let us know the range results when you have time.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 10:56am
its always nice to see one getting used , and the mods you made look in keeping with its origins 
Likestoshoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Likestoshoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 11:59am
Nice looking set up I would like to have one some day the better ones are getting harder to find
Just a note horn Hornady sells a .312 that turned my 303 into a tack driver.
Right after I shoot I always think ... did I aim?
Toten Kopf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toten Kopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 12:15pm
I will say that for some reason, unknown to me, I just enjoy taking the Enfield out
of the vault and just holding it, working the bolt.  Well I'm sure you know what I mean.

The weather here in Wyoming just isn't that great for shooting at this time.  We had a little snow
two days ago and the wind, well, let me say that most folks have no idea what wind is like.

40 mph is considered just a breeze...LOL  This makes taking time for a "ZERO" very difficult as most know that you want a calm day to set up you zero.  There's nothing like shooting at 600 yards with a 25-40 mph crosswind and trying to hit your target.

At times, trying to shoot at 100 yards becomes a most trying experiance.  It seems that when we do have a "calm" day, everyone is at the range trying to get in as much shooting as they can.

I have added a picture of the range we have, good for 800 yards.  If you want to shoot to 1000 yards, you just need to move back behind the shooting benches (I know that the picture only shows 600 yards).  I haven't updated my pictures showing the 700-800 yard targets. 

Toten Kopf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toten Kopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Likestoshoot Likestoshoot wrote:

Nice looking set up I would like to have one some day the better ones are getting harder to find
Just a note horn Hornady sells a .312 that turned my 303 into a tack driver.

Hey pard'ner, I would love to try those bullets.  However, there just isn't anything available.
I was lucky enough to find 3 boxes of Hornady 174gr. FMJ and 2 boxes of Sierra 174gr. MatchKings.

If you have extras...I'll take them.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 9:05pm
Nice range! Pity about the wind though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Likestoshoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 9:16pm
I know the feeling we use to hunt with bullets .
Now we just hunt bullets
I liked it better the other way
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Likestoshoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 1:25pm
this is our little 400 yarded at the ranch it is in a valley between two draws trees shield some of the wind but we have to deal with swirl if we get serious we set out flags and do a lot of guessing 100 y 200 y and up the hill to the right 400 y
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 9:46pm
We're jealous, its a miracle to find a 200yard one round here.Cry

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Likestoshoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 10:02pm
Nice outdoor with indoor wind control what is the backstop in the background?
My zoom won't let me see that far
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 12:07am
Its an odd range. The 100 yd bench is in the middle between the butts & the 200 yd firing line. There's even a side path to allow you to come onto the range at the 100 yd point unseen by anyone shooting at the 200.Shocked

Here's a different shot blown up to show the target frame, the bank & the twit who walked out while I was shooting 7.62 from 200 yds without noticing a while back.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Likestoshoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 6:12am
That is different usually one would have one bench and multiple target stages just a little scary
Aww well just trust those guys shooting past you can't hit any thing
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 7:26am
very nice looking rifle
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 8:25am
Some British military ranges are set up similarly, one butts & multiple firing points. They tend to be flat open fields with a safety system & good range control though. Wandering through the trees into the middle is a bit nutz.

Even with the strict range controls I've been "blessed" to have a MG platoon come in behind me & drop a few rounds from a Bren over my head. You have no idea how glad I was to be on the wrong side of the angled dirt firing point at "a rate of knots" with a field telephone that day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic