Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebarelling to 303-35

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebarelling to 303-35
    Posted: April 09 2014 at 6:17am
Who here knows about doing that?
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 6:52am
Since you wont be timing it to align military sights it should be straight forward like rebarreling a Mauser or Remington 700.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 10:19am
Your question is a bit nebulous. 
What exactly do you want to know?
The 303/35 is the least common of the 303 wildcats.
Can you source .358 cal projectiles? We have huge difficulty here in Aust. .357 projectiles will work in a .358 barrel but if you are going to use n/
a 303 round you want to use the .358 pills as they have the construction and wt.

sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 11:27am
I guess I want to know if anyone here has DONE it. This company does it.
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 4:33pm
JES doesn't rebarrel,,, they rebore and rifle your existing barrel.  I plan on having this done in the near future as soon as I get my gun ready to go to Jes.
I have heard nothing but great things about this guy.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 7:16pm
The .303Epps is the least impact on the .303brit. All they do is ream out the chamber to reduce the sharp shoulder on the case. Components remain the same. Cases just need reforming to the new shoulder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 12:46pm
I got mine back from JES a week or so ago.  The rifling is nice.  He also included a necked up .303 case and I made one myself using a set of .358 Win Dies.  The expander on this die is tapered and the nose end fits in the .303 case just fine. I suspect the expander was made this way so you could easily reform .308 brass into .358 brass.

I'd take a pic of the rifling but you couldn't really see much so you'll just have to take my word for it.

He also told me to use loads from .35 Remington to start with and work up from there.

I am planning on two main loads for this gun, one with a 250 gr Cast Boolit and one with a 250 gr Hornady Bullet. The gun will be used mainly with Cast Boolits ,,, Probably something like this.

It should be pretty formidable on it's own.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Da Rookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 4:37am
Hi Buchana

Did you ever complete your project?  I am interested in the results you are getting with the 250gr bullet.

Thanks
Da Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 10:12am
  I never got around to that project.  It is still sitting in the shop waiting for some way to cook the barrel after CeraKoting it.

I haven't shot it yet, so I can't really comment on performance however it should be well above .35 Remington and just below .358 Win.

When I get it done I will certainly post about it here.

Randy.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:29am
How hot does it need to be?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:24pm
About 250 F for 2 hours,,,  but the kicker is the the barreled action is about 28" long and it limits where you can cook it. Was looking at an electric smoker but never got around to it.

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 6:46am
Hair dryer on HIGH & HOT into a length of metal piping?
I sweated a massive amount of cosmo out of my stock that way, just not sure if 250 will be reached.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 4:43pm
Shamu:  the problem you run into is handling he parts after you paint them.  You can't touch anything or it will show up and ruin the job. I did a CZ82 Pistol and it came our real nice but the longest part is 6" so everything fit in one of my wife's abandoned Toaster Ovens, and it worked perfectly.

Hanging the Barrel/Receiver in a Smoker is one way, or I was looking at building a horizontal oven.

Just a matter of getting around to it. And after 32 years of sitting around you'd think I'd get around to it soon.  maybe?

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 8:04am
Can you just turn it off & let it cool slowly inside the pipe? Like overnight maybe?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 10:02am
The problem is getting it in the pipe without touching it. It has to hang so it doesn't touch anything.

The pistol parts were hung from one of the grates in the oven.  The slide was the hardest as it had to be hung from both ends so it hung horizontal. Everything else was pretty easy to handle

The parts were painted while hung on wires in a little paint booth. Then transferred to the oven where they were hung on the grate, then cooked for 2 hours at 250+F.

I touched one part on its edge with one of the wires and it left a mark.  You can't touch anything or it will show.  Cleaning is key to getting good results, and if you touch the parts after they are prepped before they are painted it shows. 

Also there is no touching up,,, the process is a one way type of thing.  It takes blasting with Steel Grit to get it off, then you get to start over..

Cera Kote is serious stuff and once it's on there and cured,,, it is ON THERE!  If the stuff wasn't that good nobody would bother as it is a hassle to do, but if done right the results are excellent.

Most of the outfits I know of locally who do the process are Industrial Coating outfits that have large ovens for curing powder coating and force curing other high performance paints/  They hang parts on a wheeled dolly, paint them, and roll them into the oven.  Almost no chance of touching the parts before or after.

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 2:12pm
Nice job!Thumbs Up
Ok, thinking outside the box here.
Stiff wire (coat hanger?) through inside of barrel, plug barrel.
make 2 "stands" (wood block with hole for coat hanger ends)?
slide in only touching blocks?
Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic