Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rifle No3 Mk1* W (T)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle No3 Mk1* W (T)
    Posted: May 13 2014 at 9:40pm
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been about much for a while. Happens occasionally with the twists and turns we take in every day living. During my quiet spell I have finished a bit of work on a rifle I scored a little while back, and now ready to stick it up here, A few who visit other boards may have seen this in the last day or three...apologies, feel free to skip it here, no new information yet.....

I picked this rifle up a few months ago and found the scope had been painted with a matt black spray. It also had what looked like flecks of paint inside on the lenses. I stripped the scope out and removed the paint to find active rust underneath. The person who painted it had chipped some of the paint off when assembling the saddle, and this was floating around inside. The tube has quite a bit of pitting on the outside and a small dent, luckily, none of which hampered disassembly. I spent many hours cleaning all traces of the paint off the tube inside and out, and more hours removing the rust completely so I could refinish the tube. I decided to do a cold blue on it and got a pretty good result. I let it stand for two months to see if any rust staining came through before assembling it on friday. You will see from the pics I missed blackening part of the brass, but can do that bit assembled when I get more of the chemical to do it. A professional refurb at a later date is an option, see how it goes....

The rifle is a Winchester made Patt14 rifle from 1917. It is one of 2001 rifles converted by P.P. Co in 1918 to Patt14 Mk1* W (T) ... later to be named the Rifle, No. 3 Mk1* (T)
This rifle is one of "a quantity" that was sent to Australia between the wars, and has Australian ownership marks.
The rifle appears to retain all it's original parts including barrel which is in very good+ condition. Overall the rifle is very good condition. Unfortunately the scope is miss matched, but appears good internally with all it's functions working and has a very clear view.

The No. 3 Mk1* W (T) was the only sniper rifle Australia had during WW2 until production of the No1 MkIII* HT began to reach the front line late in 1944. Still trying to track down more information on the time of arrival and the quantity.

MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 9:55pm
a couple more markings....

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 11:20pm
Very nice rifle! It's difficult enough finding a decent Pattern '14 here in the States, I can't imagine ever being lucky enough to ever find one of these gems. Plus figuring the number is low as to how many were sporting Australian ownership marks and you definitely have a diamond!
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 5:55am
No t to mention what you'd have to pay Bear.
Eggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 7:56am
I heard he paid 30 dollars for it off a bloke down the pub LOL
Devout Yorkshireman
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 9:08am
30 bucks wouldn't even get you the permit to apply Eggy.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 9:10am
i want to meet that bloke - never know what he might have hidden away , nice rifle , very nice 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 4:05am
Thats a very interesting rifle, very nice indeed. I'm sure it's too valuable to shoot regularly, but let us know how it shoots if you do a range test for the scope set up.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 1:53pm
i have to admit , much as it pains me , when i first saw this thread tittle , without considering the poster ,  i was expecting to see a no1 mkIII* butchered into some sort of "T" format , we get so much nomenclature abuse that i fully expected a bubba rifle , 

i was so relieved to find a legitimate post of a truly beautiful rifle that it caught me off guard , 

i think it valuable , but not too valuable to shoot - contrary , i hope you shoot and enjoy it , while they are not making them anymore - we only get to go round once in this life and shooting is what it was intended for  , do post the range report 
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 3:22pm
I'm hearing mixed opinions about shooting it... no worries for the rifle, it is in near pristine mechanical condition... but the scope might be a worry. I have a spare AOC Patt18 scope that I might see about shifting the rings on and use it, but it's still about the same value. Knowing I can strip the scope out if needed is a relief, but rebuilds needing internals are not cheap.... decisions decisions....
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 8:16pm
You'll shoot it mate.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 11:16pm
In that condition I wouldn't hesitate to fire it, Max. Granted I would not shoot it every day, but once in a great while it would need to be on the firing line. You have a rare piece of history there and I feel an occasional round through it is warranted.
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 1:29pm
wow. i love the p14 rifle but it's true they are hard to find state side. i never new they were made into sniper rifles.
Damien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 1:42am
Gents, out of 2001 made, 667 went to Australia.  NSW alias 2nd Military District are marked 2 over D/I\D as per this specimen.  The ratio of the split during WW1 was 1/3 for NSW, 1/3 for Victoria and the other 1/3 divided between the other states.  The numbers seen on some P14(T)s indicate that NSW may have gotten slightly more than 1/3 of the P14 snipers. cheers, D
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 6:15pm
it is a beauty to be sure , looks original nick as it would have been produced save the cheek riser but that is no big thing since it served in 2nd military district in WWII most likely added then i would guess , 

as a winchester it is an honest example - not made up later , i think its great , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 6:39am
Wowsers!
Necro thread from 2014 reborn!
Dead
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic