Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Criterion barrels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Criterion barrels
    Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:12am
I see there's been discussions about Criterion making barrel for Enfields. I just thought I'd pass along that I got this email yesterday from Criterion, in response to an inquiry I'd made re: a rumor about Enfield barrels -

"Good morning,

The rumors are true! We have a No.4 barrel in development with a 95% completed prototype. As soon as the prototype is completed these will enter production and will be available for order. We expect this to take place sometime later this year.

If demand meets our projections for the No.4 barrel (which I anticipate it will) we will begin the design phase of the No.1 barrels. I'm anticipating the No.1 barrel will take significantly less time to produce due to the lack of front sight/bayonet lugs found on the No.4.

For information regarding the release of these barrels, I would suggest following us on Facebook or signing up for our email newsletter at www.criterionbarrels.com

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Josh Buege

W172 N13050 Division Rd.
Germantown, WI 53076
ph: (262) 628-8749
fax: (262) 997-1137"
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 4:20am
Thats an interesting project. Will they be able to export to European Armourers  and Gun shops?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 4:42am
I think that is a matter of local laws. In the U.S the receiver is the firearm; the barrel is legally just a pipe.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
rondog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:01am
My understanding from other threads on other forums is that they're in negotiations with distributers to Australia and Canada. Haven't heard about Europe or the UK.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:01am
I'd like to see these barrels being able to be shipped to a Canadian dealer or privateer.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:51am
Interesting to see if the No1 barrels get off the ground. Companies in Australia make them but to then have the sights fitted is a very costly exercise. Not worth it and Still cheaper to buy another gun with a good barrel.
Nailcreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nailcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:31am
I stopped by Criterion today and chatted with Josh for a few minutes. The prototype barrel looks very nice. They hope to have it on the market by year's end. Things are looking up!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:53am
Any idea if these #4 barrels will be 2 grooved or higher?
Nailcreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nailcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:58am
5 groove ... based on a 1943 BSA sample. Really looks nice.
rondog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:25am
I can't believe it's taking them that long to develop a prototype, they've been working on it since 2012 at least. I mean, they make barrels, it takes years to design a new one?

I'm not complaining, I'm thrilled that someone is finally doing this. But I used to be a machinist, so I have a little experience at taking an item and duplicating it on a lathe.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 2:29pm
Rondog, I too have a machinist's background and I understand what you are saying. I am thinking it had to do more with demand for this product. They may have had to justify the expense before tooling up? Either way, I am happy they are making the effort to make barrels for our #4's and hopefully #1 barrels as well. I may be mistaken in saying that Criterion might want a number of pre-orders on hand before running a batch of barrels?
rondog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

I'd like to see these barrels being able to be shipped to a Canadian dealer or privateer.

Info I have is that they're negotiating with Canadian and Australian distributors already.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:50am
Excellent! Thanks for the quick response rondog!
Nailcreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nailcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 10:32pm
I think the time it's taken is due to all the other work they've been doing ... it's a sizable shop, but not acres big! I know the bayonet lug isn't easy to CAD program, so it's a project that's been done in between other projects.
CriterionBarrels View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CriterionBarrels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 3:24am
We can ship to European Armourers and gun shops through an exporter. Within the borders of the US barrels can be shipped like any other item.

When sent overseas barrels are regulated by our Department of State ITAR restrictions. For this reason we ship our barrels through exporters like Sans-Nom Inc. who can ensure compliance with these laws.

www.sans-nom.com

If you have any European distributors who you think may be interested in carrying our products, we would be more than happy to contact them and discuss the development of a distributor agreement.

-Josh
Nailcreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nailcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 10:25am
Hey Josh,

Good to see you here! Please keep us informed as to progress!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic