Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bulk unprimed 303 brass?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bulk unprimed 303 brass?
    Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:56pm
New to all this but not reloading in general. who manufactures 303 british brass and sells it in bulk?

Only ones I can find is Remington, Winchester and they are supposedly all out of stock? I've look on Norma's, Hornady, Lapua aand other vendors sites and cant find it even listed.

Does it exist, and can it be bought,
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 9:01am
Privi Partizan is about the best brass out there and Graf's carries it.
Though with the current shortages the availability may be spotty for the next few months.
Remington Brass is OK
Winchester and S&B 303 brass SUCK!
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
daneko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:05am
I have bought the privi brass. but find it a better deal to buy a 100 rounds of the loaded stuff[pri vi] shoot it up[fun part] then full length resize once, then neck size only after that...for each different rifle.......
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:29am
I have used Winchester 45-70 bullets in the factory box and the very first round ended with a burst sidewall! I brought the whole box back and got a refund. I also have 300 unfired new in the bag .303 brass casings and refuse to use them to reload with as a result of the 45-70 experience. I plan on selling them if anyone needs them locally.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 4:23pm
Is Lapua brass readily available in the USA?  It's hideously expensive over here £100 for a hundred  243 cases. 308 is slightly less expensive .
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 9:54pm
Lapua brass is available here but, like Norma, is very expensive. It actually costs less to buy loaded Remington ammo than Lapua brass.
Have a Nice Day
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 2:25pm
Cost is 1 of the reasons I went over to Privi.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

mike16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 8:10am
So......? Lapua and Norma do sell 303 British brass?

So Remington, Winchester, lapaua and norma sell it.

Remington and Winchester are out of stock.

I've checked lapua and norma's site and they make no mention of 303 british brass. but thst just means I cant traverse their site.

another related question, The No.4 Mk2 has a very loose chamber so that a round can chamber in a combat situation, that is with minimal cleaning and dirt in the chamber.

those same loose tollerances are very hard on brass intended for reloading. It may cause a failure in a limited number of reloads?

and with brass so scarce, so expensive and so "fragile" would it be cost effective to obtain a barrel cut for the tightest SAAMI tollerances as a starting point?

Where I'm going with this is maybe a consideration, and further down the road a justification (cost effective) to obtain a barrel with a chamber cut so that by brass will survive more than 3 reloads.

I've run into a similar problem with an isreali mauser, where I did my brass to bench rest standards but found that the loose fit chambers caused a lot of attrition after a few as 3 to four reloads.

anybody else this obsessive compulsive?

Should I check my meds or get a new barrel?

Obama care does not cover a new obermeyer barrel and custom die set
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 11:18am
Graf's has Privi in stock $50 for 100 cases
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12637

I have separate Brass for each 303 rifle and neck size only with Privi I get 10-12 loads out of a case,
Have a Nice Day
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 8:23pm
My No4mk1/2 has a large chamber as well, I use Remington Brass and get about 5 loads before they get a line around the base that is the rupture point. I neck size only and aneal the necks every 2nd load. Brass is expendable, you just have to factor in the cost. It's still cheaper than a barrel, if you can find one!
PRVI brass is apparently better, but I have not had the opportunity to try that yet.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 5:29pm
For my Martini enfield I got a couple of bags of 30-40 Krag brass to keep it separate from the 303 brass for my Lee Enfield. The krag brass was cheaper than the 303 brass and being longer, can be trimmed to the actual chamber dimensions.
Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
rico567 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rico567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 4:25am
Got a bag of 100 Prvi Partizan cases from Graf's. Haven't loaded them yet, working up some loads now with some old W-W brass I had. This is my first experience loading .303, although I've had an SMLE since the 1960's, and have loaded a number of other centerfire rifle chamberings for over 40 years. Have loaded .30-30 for most of that, so the vicissitudes of rimmed cases are known to me. So far, so good, anyway....just keep on neck sizing.
"Arms and the man I sing."
-Virgil, The Æneid
Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 3:07pm
To point out the obvious, if its ammunition which you have fired off in your firearm, the brass is already fire-formed to your chamber. Why would you bother to do a full length resizing, unless you intend using it in a different firearm. 
Gun Nut 4
Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 3:23pm
New in the box, new in the bag, where is this ammunition manufacture? Is it an established company or someone doing some freelance reloading.
Gun Nut 4
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 4:57pm
The Prvi Partizan?
Its from Serebia & is some of the best new factory ammo & components you can get. Almost as good as the Greek HXP.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 6:24pm
So far I have never had a PRVI Partisan round not fire or feed correctly.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic