Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMLE Lee Enfield Aperture Sights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmericanSAffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMLE Lee Enfield Aperture Sights
    Posted: July 03 2014 at 7:14am
he!!o again, everyone,

Still on Ebay and found two styles of aperture sights.  I would love to put an aperture sight on my SMLE, especially a period correct one.  Not to mention they look cool:

Westey Patent

Parker Hale 5A Mark 7

Again, any one have any experience with these sights?  Do they improve accuracy significantly?  I have also found this after market aperture sight that swaps out with the windage notch sight:

Worth the $20?  Thanks again and have a great day!

Saffer
Egrasse et habe - Go forth and spend
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 7:12pm
The Westley Richards sight currently advertised  was designed for the LLE family and is not suited for the SMLE, however the A.G. Parker/Parker Hale 5a sight was designed in 1925 specifically for the SMLE and Sht.LE rifles.

The peep you see advertised is pretty useless, the sight radius being too great, though this type of addition was being made in the early 1900's, rapidly superceded by the rear mounted sights.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 8:32pm
It depends if you are shooting competitions with your rifle too; could change to the modified class in military rifle shoots.
I don't believe it will make the rifle more accurate, but will make the shooter more accurate! if you know what I meanWink
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
AmericanSAffer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmericanSAffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 4:27am
Thank you for the insights!  The Parker Hale is already breaking my bank ($55 +$30 for shipping!) so I'll see if I don't get lucky someday.  I'll just have to practice with the notch sights until then! Thank you again!

Saffer
Egrasse et habe - Go forth and spend
bill smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:48pm
i have a different opinion of the aperture sight you found on eBay that fixes to the rear sight ladder.  i have two of these sights.  one is on an Ishapore .308 and the other is on an Ishapore .303.  for me they are both well worth the $20 price.  my vision is such that the standard military sight system is a real problem.  my eyes just work a lot better with an aperture sight arrangement.

i was skeptical at first for the reason mention above by Muffett.  however, in actual service, i found the aperture to work very well.  possibly, because Enfields have a lot of different heights of front sights, you may have to change yours out to work with the location of the center of the aperture.  but that is a situation you may encounter with the standard military sight system anyway.

another thing i like about the sight is the vendor.  when i got the sight and i put on my .308, it shot low at 100 yards.   i called him and he sent me a different one.  he asked me how low i was shooting and he made a new aperture with a re-located opening.  it shoots fine now.  in the process, he told me that if i was still dissatisfied with the sight that he would refund my money.  a very cooperative business man.  the kind of person that Oklahoma is famous for.

anyhow, i enjoy mine.  you might try one and see if you like it.  $20 isn't a bank breaker and you will learn something new about apertures located up on the barrel.  good luck.
ozzlefinch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzlefinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 8:45pm
I like the rear aperature sight, I think I'll pick one up for myself and try it out. My eyes aren't getting any younger either Wacko

But as a note, the Ishapore Enfield 2A1 is NOT .308, it is 7.62 NATO.  There is a difference. The 7.62 NATO ballistics are  identical to the .308, but the chamber sizes of the firearms are slightly different.  The mil-spec 7.62 chambers are slightly larger to account for military needs, so the NATO brass is made thicker at the base to prevent case separation in loose chambered weapons.  If you want to shoot .308 in the 2A1 you can, but have a gunsmith check the chamber first to see if it is safe for the .308.  My 2A1 is good to go for .308 so I shoot that all the time with no issues at all.  I can't answer for any other rifle however. 
Politicians aren't born. They are excreted
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by AmericanSAffer AmericanSAffer wrote:

I'll just have to practice with the notch sights until then!

Saffer

Aperture sights are fine in competition, and they can be found in ever increasing states of complexity. It all depends upon the expertise of the firer.

For some unexplained reason... in this day and age, everyone tends to worship aperture and optic sights in preference over the time honoured 'iron sights'. Optical sights magnify ones shooting errors. In my experience, a dedicated shooter using iron sights is well capable of hitting a man sized target at 1,000yds. I suppose that like everything else, modern technology is pushing time honoured ways into disuse.

Just my two-penneth!
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:24pm
Its just that modern people want everything done as a one stop fixes all solution.
I've shot irons on My No4 out to 650 with a great deal of success, but many want that single plane of focus answer.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzlefinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:26am
"Aperture" sights in my opinion are iron sights.  They have no moving parts and are fixed to the rifle.  I use both the blade and aperture sights interchangeably, perhaps it's my military training with the M16 that makes me think that way.  Either case, the way I see it is that either one will do, both have their uses.  My Arisaka rifles have aperture sights, so does my 1914 Carl Gustafs mauser.  From what I can tell, militaries around the world have used both at one time or another. 

As far as optics are concerned, I don't use them except on my .22 Marlin.  I find, as was stated before, that errors are magnified.  Not only that, a good bump and your sights are off, but the only way to tell is by shooting. Then you have the issue of parallax compensation and other sighting tricks.  I don't care for any of that.  I like fixed sights that stay put no matter what and then I can decide for myself where my aim-points should be.   I'm not saying optics are bad, all I'm saying is that I don't use them. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:46am
I was comparing irons to optics. I agree both aperture & notch & blade are iron sights.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 11:53am
me too , but these days an un-magnified optic is one for me - i cannot see past 100 yards clearly enough any more , 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

me too , but these days an un-magnified optic is one for me - i cannot see past 100 yards clearly enough any more , 

Shoot at BIGGER targets...
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzlefinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Sarge Sarge wrote:

Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

Shoot at BIGGER targets...

Or empty the magazine!Tongue
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:44am
Or both!Evil Smile
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 2:58am
And use a bayonet!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 3:45am
Oh man! Now that is close!Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic