Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To: Clean Cases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rico567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 8:54pm
I use citric acid, in the form of a product available at Wal-Mart called "Lemi-Shine." It takes around 20-30 minutes in warm water to clean up normally soiled / tarnished cases. Cases should be deprimed first. Extremely bad corrosion will probably have to be dealt with using steel wool. Avoid any brass cleaner containing ammonia, as it weakens the brass.
If you want factory-shiny cases, tumble (I use the vibratory kind I've had forever) in corncobs. I use a product called NuFinish (available at finer auto supply stores everywhere) to do the polishing. Not necessary, but it produces a pretty case.
"Arms and the man I sing."
-Virgil, The Æneid
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 11:47pm
Just do not use any brass cleaning products or auto polish. Most of them contain pumicite, ground up pumice stone (the stone you use to remove skin on feet). Very abrasive.
Toten Kopf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toten Kopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 1:45am
The way I clean cases is so in depth that most folks wouldn't spend the time that I do.  Wink

But for me, it's just what I do.  A clean case is a happy case...(easier to spot defects as well)

And I agree with being careful on what you use, as stated, some chemicals can weaken brass to the point that it could be dangerous. 
"It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

pogson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pogson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 7:02am
I do a similar thing but with some variations. I don't use the acid. That removes oxidation which I don't mind. My objective is clean cases, not ones looking like they were made yesterday.

I use hot water because it cleans better and I add the detergent as needed. I first rinse in hot water to warm the cases, drain that, and then wash and rinse twice with hot soapy water. My well-water has lots of minerals so I do a final rinse in distilled water from a dehumidifier. I guess rain or melted snow might work too. My dehumidifier also blows warm dry air over my cases to finish quickly. I sometimes use a hair-drier if I'm impatient. I inspect primer pockets and some interiors with a light to make sure no drop remains.

I've been doing this since I started shooting in a sandy location. Sand gets into ejected cases. Even a ground-sheet gets contaminated with the stuff from coming and going. The hot water and detergent gets rid of my oily case-lube too. I too clean cases before resizing to be sure to remove sand and after resizing to remove oil and primer-residue. Cleanliness is next to doing things right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic