Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rawson Sight - Event Date: August 29 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Rawson Sight
    Posted: August 28 2014 at 3:47pm
I have just bought a very nice Rawson aperture sight to fit to my No.1 Mk.III. I'm having trouble understanding the distance scale on the side plate. I can see that the markings on the left of the scale are in 100yd. increments. The markings on the right of the scale are I think some sort of vernier arrangement. But I can't make any sense of it. Can anyone explain the operation of this sight to me. Preferably in terms that an idiot can understand.Smile Thanks.
                                                                               mungo.
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 5:07pm
Don't know the sight, but it sounds very much like reading decimals on a vernier calliper or beam scale.

mungo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 5:57pm
Yes, I'm sure it operates on that kind of principle, but I can't get the lines on the right to make any sense.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 7:15pm
The sight scale is marked in Yardage for Mk.VII ammunition (unless stamped 7.62) the finer scale is in points of an inch for more accurate range usage.

With the rifle zeroed at 300yds, the scale plate is zeroed  so that so the scale on the left reads 300,  the right scale will now have the base line at zero, 

as this sight is in half minutes(2 clicks to a point or minute of angle) if we want to move the sight to the 200 yard mark ( left 3 and a 1/2 points) we would wind the sight 7 clicks anti clockwise.

Knowing our target elevation settings in minutes for the ammunition we are using, allows us to adjust rapidly for that range(which will vary from the elevation scale as we are not using the milspec ammo) and then fine tune our elevation to maintain centre during our shoot.

mungo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 10:10am
Thanks for the reply muffett. I appreciate the effort you've gone to. I'm a bit closer to grasping it, but the figures don't make sense to me. This is my reasoning. With the scale on the right, 10 clicks will give you 1" of movement. So 1MOA @ 300yds is 3", and 1MOA @ 200yds is 2". Would that not mean that from a 300yd rifle zero, you would move the scale 10 clicks down, to get 200yds. Not 7 and a half clicks down. What am I missing ?
                     mungo
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 2:23pm
Rule of thumb for click.

From your point blank range, at half the distance you double the click to adjust. At double the distance you half the clicks.

Say your sight are 1 click = 1/4" @ 100 meters. Then at 200 meters 1 click = 1/2" and at 50 meters 1 click = 1/8".

BTW for the uninformed or mislead by the media:
Point Blank Range = the point/s at a bullet crosses the sight line. In other words the distance that you zero your sights. It DOES NOT mean really close, unless someone was stupid enough to zero their firearm at < 1 meter.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 6:39pm
No, 1 point equals 1 inch, the diagram (figure 20) shows the vernier scale at zero, all the lines match. To adjust 1 moa, irrespective of distance, you would move the sight up or down 2 clicks(1 point), therefore that 1 point would equal 1inch at 100, 2 inches at 200 and so on.
 The second pic on right in figure 20 shows the adjustment for 5 points of elevation(10 clicks), note that the vernier now shows the first line-zero(each line equals 5 points) in line with the first segment.
 Now to read a lesser amount, say 2 points, the 2nd line from zero will now be in line with the 2nd line (10 on the 0-80scale) showing the sight is set at 2 points.

One of the failings of the Rawson sight is the lack of zero marks, leading to confusion for the novice, but once understood, the sight scale is reasonably accurate, on a par with British sights but reading only about 80% in relation to other Aussie sights.

Look at the diagram on reading the vernier scale, it is self explanatory, you also apply the same principle to windage,(at least this has a zero/zero line), just turn the sight on it's side and look at half the scale, you will see that it is a duplication of the vertical scale, with the zeros lined up you have 5 graduations to the 20 point mark, as each point is wound on, a different line will match up, practice, you will work it out.

mungo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 8:10pm
Thank you muffet. Got it now. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic