Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

last crtrdg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: last crtrdg
    Posted: October 03 2014 at 8:22am
Hi gents,

some time , on my LB n4 , it occur a skew feeding of the last round  from magazine 
, the  bullet point on the chamber rib and the round have to be removed by hand or 
pressed vit the thumb to complete the feeding  ( some image will let you understand 
better than how i can write ) 

I have often tried to act on the magazine lips bending ,( mainly the forward left ) 
but without remarkabes effects , the last round  ( ..only it ) one time on three about 
go skew  

I know also that  on the Enfield rifle i can 't feed the rounds slowly ( ...just like on a Mauser ) 
but it require a rapid , firm hand   ....nothing doing

Have you ever experienced this kind of misfunctoin ? do you can suggest me a way to fix ?

Thank you in advance for any kind of suggestion or help

CC
nec aspera terrent
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 8:46am
We would need a picture of just the magazine itself to help you determine the cause of this problem.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 12:37pm
Maybe the front left feed tab is a little loose. Can you see the 2 tabs (left & right) being different in positioning live rounds with several in the magazine?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
CTB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 1:39pm
Hi guys , 
as request here the magazine

waiting for   ....some help

Thank you

CC

nec aspera terrent
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 4:34pm
Weak spring?
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 4:43pm
I was thinking weak spring as well. I think that platform is kiltered to one side more than the other. Could be the spring but maybe could be the feed lips need a slight bit more tweaking. Once out of whack, those lips are tough to get back into proper position and using pliers can weaken the metal and the lip can snap off unexpectedly. I would take the spring out, check for corrosion inside the magazine walls, clean and lightly lube it then check the spring for tension. Springs can be found on eBay quite easily. I have also found that the auxiliary spring can hide rust underneath and leach into the magazine over time. Notice in this photo that the lips are curved as well as drawn into the magazine well and how flat the platform is in relation to the top rails of the magazine.
CTB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 12:32am
hi , 

the spring should be in good condition , the last time i seen it , it was clean , oiled, 
without any rust or other 

the thing i do not like too it is the platform ( i thik it is a little bent ) and the 
lips ( after two or three "changes" them had become too flat  but still very "strong") 

some question more before i try to restore :  

-  the height of the lips against the platform ( when i will straightened ) have to do the same for both ?        because this would mean the edge of right lip ( looking from forward ) will be more internal than 
   the left  

-  the  feeding problem could be influenced from the mag (  the box ) width also ? (1 or 2  mm more 
   or less ) ?   
   because when i insert the mag i feel it very "tight" 

Thank you 

nec aspera terrent
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 2:30am
Correct the feed plate angle, it is out of whack, once straightened you will need to readjust the front lips to ensure proper feeding.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 6:34am
Yup the follower is tilted side to side. Here's how it should look loaded &  unloaded from a couple of angles.
It also looks like your left (as viewed) feed lip is a bit too "open" & needs slightly bringing down, but do the follower first & then adjust if needed.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
CTB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Yup the follower is tilted side to side. Here's how it should look loaded &  unloaded from a couple of angles.
It also looks like your left (as viewed) feed lip is a bit too "open" & needs slightly bringing down, but do the follower first & then adjust if needed.

Hi Shamu 

i see - ok  -  ....just in time , i'm  starting  now  to make ...some adjustment Smile

...Hornady ?  ...may be the 174gr FMJ BT  3131  ?  Thumbs Up

CC
nec aspera terrent
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 8:11am
My rounds? Mope some South African Mk 7 I still have. (R1M3Z)
Make sure you fix the follower FIRST then the feed lip.
CTB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 9:53am
Hi gents, 

finished !      ...IT WORK FINE ! !  Big smileClap

no more skew and the bolt  soft and smooth on feeding 

- platform streghtned and bending lips restored and adjusted

now : 

..... a happy end  Thumbs Up Beer 

Thanks guys  Handshake

CC
nec aspera terrent
CTB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by <div><br></div>[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE wrote:

....oppss      "...lips bending restored..."Embarrassed
nec aspera terrent
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 10:20am
Yay!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 1:00pm
'Tis a thing of beauty!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic