Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield barrel relining/sleeving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield barrel relining/sleeving
    Posted: October 03 2014 at 8:28pm
Has anybody ever had an Enfield barrel relined or sleeved? Comments, pros/cons, recommendations? 

I have a 1917 No.1 Mk.III SMLE with a toasted barrel that I'd like to save.

Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 6:39am
First you have to find a barrel, which isn't easy!
Check out the Criterion thread here for some more info.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
rondog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

First you have to find a barrel, which isn't easy!
Check out the Criterion thread here for some more info.

Uh, I HAVE a barrel! The one on the rifle that's NFG. I'm asking about having it drilled out, then a sleeve inserted, re-bored and re-rifled. This was recommended to me, I'm asking if anyone here has had it done and can recommend someone to do it.

And the Criterion thread is about NEW barrels for the No.4 Mk.1 rifles, not the No1. Mk.III SMLE's.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 4:04pm

Some SMLE were sleeved to 22 RF  to make Trainers.

Marstar in Canada has barrels they will be fairly Pricey and take an extra week to get across the border
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 4:40pm
I have sleeved plenty of .22 barrels but no centre fire. I have heard of it being done and I guess the process would be the same.
Get a liner drill the barrel and solder the liner in. Re chamber and bobs your uncle.
The chamber end would be a little different on a 303 as it would be larger than the rest of the liner.
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 8:02pm
Don't know much about interchanging barrels, but at http://www.enfield-rifles.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7081, Canuck has a #4 with a worn out action.
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 9:52pm
My guess is it would cost as much if not more than a new barrel and deliver poor accuracy.
Remember that to make a sleeve is very much the same process as a normal barrel but with narrow stock. Then there's the drilling out and the soldering and chambering. More processes than a straight swap. No-one makes sleeve barrels so you would have to start with a new .303 barrel and turn it down.
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 6:00am
.312 liners are available but they are only 1/2 inch dia so not really an option in my opinion. You would be starting with an original barrel and turning it down to make the liner.
Cost would outweigh practicality in my opinion.
I can understand that you would want to keep original serial numbers but personally, I would just rebarrel
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 11:08am
You could find a kit to convert to .22 which is great if you need a .22 but I'd change the barrel.
 I don't think trying to sleeve it back to .303 would be economical, and personally I would be concerned about reliability as these barrels aren't very large anyway so there's not much to work with. But I'm not a gunsmith so it's only a point of view!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 7:51pm
TRX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 1:02pm
 Last time I checked I couldn't find any place with .311-.314" barrel liners.  .308, .22, and a bunch of old-style slow twist liners for repairing black powder rifles seem to be all that's out there at the moment.

To keep your existing barrel you'll either have to turn the OD of a cut-rifled .311 blank or a barrel from a different gun down to 13mm or 1/2" to make your own liner. 

You could probably find a shop that can rebore and rifle to a larger caliber - 8mm/03 or .35/03 being the likely choices.  Of course, the loading dies and the chambering reamer would be expensive; you don't see much "freshing" of barrels any more since the labor usually exceeds the value of the rifle.
klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 8:32pm
I've read good things about this guy's work:
http://www.35caliber.com/2.html
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 7:48am
I am sure that it can be done, but how much money do you want to spend? I know it would be way cheaper to find a replacement barrel than repair the old one.

I restore older Lee Metfords/Enfields and Martinis, and have looked long and hard to find a way to recover worn out, or cut down barrels. I typically need a full length 30.2 inches. Replacement barrels other than old used take off ones are just not out there for sale.

However, keeping the original barrel on an antique rifle is important for collectability. Not difficult for me to swop out barrels if I have a replacement, but I am working on 'collectable' guns that are worth a bit of money. Changing a barrel would make the gun shootable again, yes, but would hurt $$ value. Crazy, eh?

The SMLE barrel is quite slim with not a lot of meat in there to drill out to fit a liner. Finding a liner is another adventure. I gave up on the idea of relining after talking to many seasoned gunsmiths. It can be done yes, but not many customers could afford the shop time, certainly not me! I could try to do it myself but the results might be questionable, I would not be comfortable doing it. Installing a .22 liner, no probs, but a 303??

No pictures to show you, but I have a possible solution. I have a project where I will be cutting off the original barrel ahead of the barrel reinforce and boring out the resulting threaded stub. I will then turn down the end of a a new barrel blank (a Vickers MG barrel) to fit into the stub. Once sweated together (or heat shrunk) I will cut the new chamber and reprofile the outside.

Not my idea, some smiths have done this method of rebarreling for years. This looks to be the most viable option for me with the tools that I have in my workshop.
This way I will keep the original serial numbers and markings but will have a new bore. I have recently seen one example on a Martini and it was very well done, the joint was almost invisible, just looked like a turning mark..

Still 'pie in the sky' right now. When I get my lathe set up, I'll let you know how it works.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 5:43pm
nice to see you here again , appreciate your input , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic