Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sight Adjustment Tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 4:27pm
I think Mine are waiting on me at the house right now!!! I have one more day and a wake up, then I get on that Yeller Bird and head to the beach !!!!!

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Long branch Long branch wrote:

Tubal3000. That's a Nobel Sport powder right? I hear good things about it.

Yes that is correct. I find it works well in my No4 rifle but people here keep telling me to use Vitha vouri powder, saying it's more consistent batch to batch than the Nobel Sport. Problem is no one has any in stock and I believe the factory closed.
I have also heard that the Reload Swiss powder is worth a look, but again finding it locally is a problem.
Also I don't want too many variables at one time, it's to easy to loose the plot. I've just switched to Federal Match primers and also have some Semllier Bellot 180 grain orgives to test; so that's enough to be going on with.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 8:31am
25-5:  just PM me and I'll get one coming to you.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 10:04am
For a couple years shooting my Enfield Rifle No.4 Mk2, I have been holding to the left a couple inches at 100 yards.  Not too much of a problem, except I like 200 yards better.  Now, I was shooting kinda sorta five inches to the right.  I was annoyed after spending so much time on reloads.
Anyway, I PM'd W.R. Buchanan and had his tool in two days.  A well made tool as his pics above show.  Machinists are a persnickety lot.  A good thing, as the tool fits over the foresight protector like a glove and aligns the adjusting screws.  I followed the directions and moved the sight 2.25 MOA.
I went to the range yesterday and took the tool.  I did not need any further adjustment.  That was just luck, but, the tool would be easy to use at the range for any finite adjustments. 
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
Stevejo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevejo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 9:52am
posting on an ancient thread here, but one question I have about the issue of “US Enfields” shooting so far off is, would it be that so many were sold here when the British government started liquidating them and several US companies would “sporterize” them?
I have a #1 mk 3 SMLE and it shoots 2 ft high at 100 yards. 
Even the 060 replacement sight won’t correct for that, so I’ll have to weld some material to it and trim to zero. 
(It is just a sporterized rifle, not a collector. No feinting please)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Stevejo Stevejo wrote:

posting on an ancient thread here, but one question I have about the issue of “US Enfields” shooting so far off is, would it be that so many were sold here when the British government started liquidating them and several US companies would “sporterize” them?
Even the 060 replacement sight won’t correct for that, so I’ll have to weld some material to it and trim to zero. 

Just a question as I'm a bit confused

You talk about the "US Enfield", which is the No3 Mk1* but then go onto say its a No1 Mk3.

Are you talking about two different rifles or have you got the numbers mixed up, or am I mistaking what you mean by US Enfield ?

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 1:21pm
This is an interesting old thread, hadn’t see it before.

I think the discussion was about the apparent need for front sight adjustments for LEs that are in the US (not a “US Enfield”).  Presumably because US shooters have messed with the rifles, or not shooting the ammunition they were “designed” to shoot, the Mk VII cartridge.  Well, the Mk 1 SMLE predated the Mk VII Cartridge by about 6 years...  

These rifles can be made to shoot exceptionally well with bullets other than the Mk VII 174 gr flat based bullet.  And yes, that likely will require a sight adjustment.  No big deal, although it is easier to adjust the front sight on a No. 4 rifle than on a No. 1.

Cutting down the forend to make a sporter alters the pressure on the barrel from the forend, essentially remove it. The barrel needs the forend to dampen vibration to obtain good accuracy?  If the bullet leaves the barrel when the muzzle is at, or near, the top of the vibration cycle the shots will be high.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

Just a question as I'm a bit confused

You talk about the "US Enfield", which is the No3 Mk1* but then go onto say its a No1 Mk3.

Are you talking about two different rifles or have you got the numbers mixed up, or am I mistaking what you mean by US Enfield ?

I think he's referring to the P-14, M1917 series. Those are frequently mentioned as U.S. Enfields.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 12:13am
Well, thanks guys, that makes it clear as mud :

I think the discussion was about the apparent need for front sight adjustments for LEs that are in the US (not a “US Enfield”).

I think he's referring to the P-14, M1917 series. Those are frequently mentioned as U.S. Enfields.

Beer

pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 2:38am
a good starting load is 16gr 2400, 4227

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 4:45am
Originally posted by MaxP MaxP wrote:

It strikes me as strange that of all the Lee Enfields I have owned and fired, including rifles I have re barrelled.... I have only once had to adjust a foresight... And I have NEVER had to change a sight blade height!

Is it possible that only the rifles in the US have sighting problems, and the possible reason for this is the almost exclusive use of 'factory' ammunition as opposed the MkVII ball the rifles were designed and sighted for. Maybe it has come about from too many home gunsmiths messing with them when they didn't perform with ammo they were never intended to use?

Not wanting to derail your thread, Homer, but is there any market for a home designed sight tool anywhere but the US?

Here’s where I got my interpretation that “US Enfields” was in reference to LE’s that are in the US, not M1917 rifles. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 6:30am
It could be either, the description is ambiguous.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 11:45am
OK,,,  I think someone got their numbers mixed up. But what the hey.

To clarify, my tool fits over the Front Sight Protector on a #4 Mk1 Rifle, It won't work on an earlier #1 Mk3 as the Front Sights are completely different.

As far as this being a American Problem easily 50% of my sales go to Canada,Europe and Aus. So it's not just an American Problem. Also I am selling about 2-3 a month so there is a market for them.

If you have a stock rear sight on your gun the only way to correct windage is by moving the Front Sight,,, Period.

Since the 29" Sight Radius results in .008 = 1 MOA  Good luck drifting it, and I hope you have plenty of ammo so you can chase it all over the place, and then settle for "Close Enough?".

With my tool you can make precise movements of the sight and get it exactly right,,, easily.

Front Sights (9 ea.) are available in .015 increments or 2 MOA increments and the intention is to sight the gun in so that the POI is dead on when the rear sight is set at 200 yards which is considered the "Mechanical Zero" for the rifle..  

This is done using the known Trajectory of Standard Ball Ammunition 

The Rear Sight is calibrated to yield the proper "elevation offsets" for that Ammo/Trajectory out to 1200 yards.

Change the ammo and everything changes. 

However if the Windage is dead on at 200 yards it should not change any significant amount thruout the range of the weapon. At that point it is only affected by the Wind which is the most significant "External Factor" in long range shooting.

Trajectory is influenced "Primarily" by Velocity and Ballistic Coefficient. Other factors enter in and have been factored in for a long time. The Rear Sight on a 1873 Trapdoor Springfield had the vertical movement actually at a sight angle and not perfectly vertical. This Offset was there to correct for the Coriolis Effect of the earth turning. Unfortunately it only worked in the Northern Hemisphere and only if you were firing south to north. 

Point being they've had this stuff figured out for about 200 years now.

Hope this helps 

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 3:43pm
Yes, “spin drift” does deflect the bullet as range increases.  For the rifles and bullets I shoot, I don’t see it out to 600 yards.  But, you will see a difference in RH vs LH twist barrels at 1000 yards, assuming you zeroed for 100 yards and shooting in no cross wind component.  

That is a handy tool, most certainly for the version of front sight base that does not have the reverse screw to loosen the dovetail.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

That is a handy tool, most certainly for the version of front sight base that does not have the reverse screw to loosen the dovetail.  

britrifles:  it will work for them too, you just have to loosen the screw first.

Randy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 4:26pm

Actually Parker Hale was the biggest Sporterizer of those guns. I have 2 #4Mk1's and one is a Mk1* Long Branch made in Canada that one had a 2 groove barrel. It now has been rebored to .35-303.

The Mk1 was made into a Parker Hale "Standard Sporter" IE: least modified.  They got the hand guards removed and the barrels left Full Length which usually meant the barrel had not been ruined by over cleaning. My other gun was a Long Branch #4 Mk1* and was converted to the "Deluxe Sporter" configuration. The barrel was cut back to 22", no doubt to get rid of the abused muzzle crown, a PH Front Sight added, and the fore end got cut back and reshaped. Sling Swivels were also added.

These guns were perfectly serviceable Sporting / Hunting Rifles and were a good value if you got a good one. They were very popular both here and in Canada in the 1950's and were priced at $65 and $75. This was during a pretty serous recession which always seems to follow in the wake of a big war, and people weren't rolling in dough and needed to hunt to put meat on the table. Especially in Canada!

Kind of like where we will be pretty soon if things don't get better.

Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic