Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Life is "interesting"...lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life is "interesting"...lol
    Posted: November 06 2014 at 8:44pm
I dropped off the forum a bit to deal with a little life fun. I bought a pickup from my dad back in August and I had to replace a windshield wiper switch in it a couple weeks back. Well, he had let it sit for 3 years and I discovered that my '78 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 was infested with mice in the cab because of it sitting so long. I have been dealing with that ever since and it has been a nightmare. Here's a couple pics:

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 4:32am
Mice are a bugger when they get in a car. We see them quite often with cars that are not used in winter. A couple of years ago a colleague was head down in a footwell inspecting the wiring harness, (because a mouse had been eating the carpets and leather trim in this clients Aston Martin Vanquish)
The little bugger ran across the harness right in front of his face, scared the crap out of him!
We put a big sticky pad in the car with a cereal bar in the middle and locked the car. Next morning Mickeys glued to the pad!.
I've also seen a rat get stuck in the AC unit of a 4x4 and die inside, client came in when the smell got too much!! Not a pleasant job getting that out!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 6:21am
As bad as this was at least I didn't have any dead in there. That had to have been a very long and disgusting job, Zed.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 3:55pm
dont envy that job - but i have an olds in the drive i need to spend time on as well , so i guess i may get to experience it one day soon 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 4:18pm
The upside to all this is becoming intimitely familiar with the workings of the inside! LOL
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 7:09pm
A good few years back I was helping out on a game farm that my girlfriend was working on up in Warmbaths. I was helping out the guy doing the game drive. We had an early morning drive for the guests and it was policy to check oil and water before taking the Land Cruiser from the workshop. Everything was fine and the driver went to start it. Being a cold morning the diesel Cruiser was taking strain to start. I had the idea of spraying a bit of quick start into the air filter. I could hear something moving in the cowling around the air filter once I had given a good spray . We took off the cowling of the air filter and there was a very agitated puff adder!

All the effects of the previous nights consumption at the staff bar disappeared in an instant. The puff adder had obviously thought the nice warm engine from the previous afternoon sun downer drive was the perfect place to spend the night and had settled in to the space between the cowling and filter element.

Fortunately it was a cold morning and the puff adder was a bit slower to react than 2 hung over guys. I prod with a stick and it slithered off. I'm sure it turned its head and said "next time guys, next time!"

BTW a good rat and mouse bait is a bit of raw oats mixed with peanut butter. Sticks nicely to traps.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 7:49pm
I can honestly say I probably would have crapped myself in that situation, DairyFarmer! I am not even joking on that! I have an absolute terror of snakes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 4:14am
The only snake to worry about is the one you don't see.
Nice to see that the Yanks do have some manual gearboxes. I did notice the steering wheel is on the wrong side though.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 7:47am
Originally posted by DairyFarmer DairyFarmer wrote:

The only snake to worry about is the one you don't see.
Nice to see that the Yanks do have some manual gearboxes. I did notice the steering wheel is on the wrong side though.

DairyFarmer, My Last truck I bought was fleet white which you would think would be manual tranny...but know the sales Lady at the dealership looked at me funny when I said I wanted a manual transmission.. She said we would have to special order something like that!!! Years ago that would have been on the lot and you could get it at a discount!! now you have to pay extra for a manual transmission !!!
The sad part is I taught my Wife to drive a Manual transmission and now the 3/4 ton has auto and her car has auto tranny in them and She hates them!!!
But with the Sissys that are learning to drive today, not many of them know how to drive a manual transmission!!!!

By the way, I got my 3/4 ton heavy duty Chevy at a discount because it was on the lot and the persons who wanted it never came back, and it had the auto transmission.. which I complained about and got some more off it!!! Guess it wont be long I will end up having to get another new truck since I have had that one for 12 years now!! but I just hate to go get another note !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 5:17pm

Like Rhino said, it is very hard to find newer vehicles here with a manual gearbox. I was surprised when a lady I work with showed up in an early 2000's Volkswagen that had a manual in it. For the most part if you are looking for a manual over here then it's the old trucks to look for. Part of the reason I love the older stuff, I grew up driving manuals and love them! Far more durable than an automatic.

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 6:30pm

"For the most part if you are looking for a manual over here then it's the old trucks to look for"  My Friends and family wondered why I kept driving that old battered up Ford Ranger as long as I did.

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 6:58pm
We have the opposite here. You pay a fair bit extra to have automatic.

My mom bought a new Toyota car a few months back. Middle of the range. They have those "infinite" gear, semi auto / full auto gear boxes. Nice for city driving and older folks. I could never buy an automatic. Where I live it is very hilly. You can spot an automatic a mile away. They the ones sitting on their brakes all the time.

Years ago when I did my PH course we had to pull start a Land Cruiser while it stood in one spot. You disengage 4 wheel drive, jack up a rear tyre, wrap a rope around the wheel and pull start it like a lawn mower. Its actually a lot easier than you would think. Provided its a manual!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 9:46pm
I never thought of that before but it's no difference in any other pull start of a manual vehicle other than how you pull. That is definitely one to put in the ol' memory banks! And just because I haven't posted it before, here is the outside view of the truck I am working on. She is rusty and crusty but for $500 I am happy with it.

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 9:50pm
As Long as you can get her going and your feet dont go through the floor boards your good!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 4:38am
I love my old Chevy with 3 on the tree. I just can afford to drive it much any more at 10-12 miles/gallon!Ouch
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 5:30am
When I was doing my national service most of the pick ups had the worst column gear shift ever. They we so loose that you were never sure that you would actually get a gear. When we had to do my military driver license they gave us one for the test. Everyone grated the gears or put it in 1st instead of 3rd. I'm sure the RSM was laughing under his "Jamie for mythbusters" moustache but had to give use the "what the beep beep beep are you doing to my vehicle!" lecture. We all passed too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic