Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rifle finish cleaning/preservation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleScout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle finish cleaning/preservation
    Posted: November 12 2014 at 9:27am
Hey everyone,

I have an old Mk 3 No. 1 that is, shall we say, a "high mileage" example. The stock is dented and dinged, there are scratches in the metal finish, etc. I want to know if there is a way to augment and preserve it's current condition.

It is rust free, and the stock is in good structural condition. 

I am NOT looking to refinish it. I believe that every rifle has a story, and I don't want to ruin this one. It's not a numbers matching collector's piece, so it doesn't have to be perfectly preserved. I just want something that will lighten up the dark (almost black) parts on the stock and keep the finish from rubbing off more than it already has.

Again, it doesn't have to be perfect, just something that will preserve it and keep it shooting for decades to come.

If this isn't possible, that's fine.

Thank you
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 4:14pm
there will be others jump in here to give more & better help , i have to start by saying your rifle rifle is correctly a number one , mark III [ no1 mkIII ] as nomenclature means something here , 

second , use no sandpaper on the timber , mineral spirits will clean the wood and boiled lindseed oil will return the finish , applied sparingly and rubbed in creating warmth in many coats spaced to allow drying , always wipe off extra with soft cloth to prevent sticky finish , 

third , if you use steel wool [brass wool is better] on the metal - use 4 ought or finer with oil to preserve the finish , and lightly is a key word , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 5:41pm
I mirror A square 10's process. Welcome to the site, Eagle Scout!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
EagleScout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleScout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 6:38pm
Yea, sorry. I caught that after I posted. Thank you for pointing that out
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 5:46am
The biggest problem is that people "over restore" rifles like yours. They try to make them showroom shiny & untended.

I'm with A-Square, the dings & scratches are a part of the history. You don't know where they came from so just preserve, don't try to "improve". The originals were never glossy showroom examples just working soldiers tools.

The alcohol clean oil the metal & linseed the stock is darn near perfect to return her to condition.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
EagleScout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleScout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 8:39pm
Thank you for all the good advice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic