Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wi deer hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wi deer hunt
    Posted: November 22 2014 at 6:44am
BSA 2549 keeping me company in the tree stand this morning
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 6:56pm
good on you , let us know how it works out for you 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 7:23pm
that's nice
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
EnfieldHunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 5:07am
Saw doe and yearling yesterday. Nephew shot nice little 6 point

Back out now. Heavy fog

Bad and good. Low visability.

Good that its warm enough for fog

2549 will get oil bath tonight.

Not the first time she got wet hunting.

Plastic and stainless are not the solution to foul weather.

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:01pm
You are correct! Sounds like you are having a great time with 2549!Good luck!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 2:18pm
Good luck!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 8:01pm
Sitting on stand yesterday morning.
Foggy. Light wind. No visability until half hour past normal "first light"
7:30 I look over my right shoulder and didn't see the deer so much as I saw something was out of place.
Grey woods, no snow cover any more and grey day offer cover
Then I noticed an eye and a ear behind a dead fall at 60 yards
Movement.   Two does. Almost directly behind me. Right side.
I'm right handed.   2549 is in her normal position facing forward and left.
They are skittish. Pressure of second day of deer season.
My tree and body mask the movements of my hands and 2549 as she is upended and asked to face the wrong way.
Now normally I don't shoot a lot of does anymore. Not a moral decision, just that the kids and others who hunt my land should have a few more deer to hunt. Shooting does doesn't help much with that effort.
That said a friend who hunts with a six shooter 357 mag had missed twice on Saturday and wanted some meat. So I gave myself permission.

Shooting left handed over your right shoulder is a skill I practiced 15 years ago after reading an article in a RifleShooter Magazine by a guy named Jon Sundra. He maintained that it was a club every hunter needed to have in his bag. BTW he was a 7mm nut and not a 303 guy so nobody is perfect

Searching the scope for a target with your non dominant eye is harder than one would image. I kept trying to open my right eye and help my left as shooting with both eyes open is my preference. Slammed my right eye closed and searched for the lead and larger doe in the scope. After a brief nature tour of the entire flipping woods I found her.   She was walking around the dead fall and straight at my stand. Patience.

At about 20 yards she turned broad side, which typically is a gift but in this case worked further behind me and increased the angle I was twisting my back to the right. She stepped out from behind a pair of birch trees and 2549 spoke.   

At the shot she pulled up her near front leg as if she had a cramp and walked forward.   In one motion I worked the bolt, and turned completely around to the left. More natural shooting position.   Took aim at her wing man and decided mercy was a better idea. Flipped my sight picture back to her and watches her walk off while trying to find a hole in the cover for a follow up shot. It was not offered. So I pushed a second shot through the wall of brush as she faided from sight.   

Waited 20 minutes and got down. Checked the spot where I shot and found hair. A good bunch of it. Not liking the reaction or her body language I waited an hour before following.   At 8:30 with rain coming at 10, I shed all my heavy layers and began to follow up. Within a few yards I found heavy blood. Lots of blood. Splashed all over the leaves on the forest floor on the side of trees and poured out like a paint bucket.   She lay 80 yards down range and about 20 yards from the last spot I saw her.

No horns to show off, but my friend was out of his funk and took home some venison.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 4:06am
I'm not a hunter, so please excuse my ignorance; but I would have thought that shooting a doe at 20 yards with a .303 would drop it on the spot!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 6:57am
Not always. If the shot doesn't shock them they can run a little even with massive internal damage.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 9:04pm
I've shot a reasonable sample size of deer with the 303 and far more often than not, they run.

If the cartridge was powerful enough to knock down a deer, it would knock me down when I fired the rifle

Equal and opposite reaction.

If you hit the spine or neck or shock the nervous system, then yes, but I always aim for the heart and lungs and end up tracking.

Not a believer in head shots or neck shots.   
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 5:13am
E.H.

Your correct in that they will (sometimes) run. Its a natural reaction. The deer can be hit with a kill-shot & still run. But it won't run far. If you wait a few minutes, you will find (always) its gone a few yards layed down & died.(If not died, it has stiffened up & cannot rise to get away when you approach). I've had .303 go through the body (taking the heart as well) & they will run a tad..I've also had them drop on the spot. The deer I have on the wall in my den I hit from the front & did a complete back flip, dropped on the spot.(He was extra big) I've also dispatched moose with .303 that drop like a rock.
I've dispatched a lot of woodland deer (white tail) over the years - all with .303 (moose too).
I find the cartridge to be more than adequate for ANYTHING huntable on this continent.
I have never -personally- lost a wounded deer, & I've been hunting since '79.
As a hunt GROUP, there has been a few lost. I note that most 30.06 seem to do a lot of excess damage to the animal..& they still run by times, as well.
In our camp..if you take out the heart..its a $5 fine(lotsa great eating there!)
The neck is always the best option..severe the spinal, minimal loss of meat...but admittedly - harder to accomplish. Especially for woodland deer where your in the bush.
Hoadie
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 10:17am
I suppose then, it depends a lot on how confident you are with the shot available (distance and angle etc) as to were you decide to aim. It would be a shame to see a botched shot and an animal just get wounded.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 7:50pm
I shot at one number years back..it came down the opposite hill from me thru heavy bush. We had a skiff of snow, so I watched it come along..gave me the impression it was as big as a cow (lol) but it turned below me & travelled up a gully forcing me to move to my right, uphill. It was a difficult shot, but I could see it was going to go into thicker bush & higher ground. I took a shot - saw it jump - & dissapper into the bush uphill. We called off the hunt 4 rest of the day & looked for it. Everyone was skeptical that I hit it, because there was no blood. we looked until after dark & quit.(In was now the whipping boy). No crows next day - so we thought I missed. Later, a deer came out of the lake behind Ray with a bad limp. He shot it. It was the deer I hit afternoon previous. Doc examined it & it was determined I had indeed hit it..but in the front foreleg.ergo - no blood. But we got him! Handsome too. dressed out at 175lbs.
Hoadie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 3:31pm
At the end of the day there is very little one can do to predict the reaction of an individual animal to a well placed shot.   Shoot one animal and it drops in its tracks and you may credit yourself or your rifle as being the deadliest combination of killing power. Shoot another in exactly the same spot and it may might run off. Both are equally dead. One just takes a few seconds to lose his footing and the other was more stunned. Either way, all will fall to a well placed heart and lung shot with less risk of a suffering animal. The hunters job is ethical shot placement.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 3:57am
Thanks for the info guys; and good hunting!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 8:10pm
2549 worked hard today to find a first deer for my nephew.

No luck yet

2 does and 0 shots.

Tomorrow we try again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic