Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Round Mag differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTenenbaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Round Mag differences
    Posted: December 19 2014 at 1:46pm
he!!o All,

New owner of a well preserved Enfield here.  I recently bought it from someone liquidating his collection.  It had been slightly modified over the years, but it has been well taken care of and I look forward to many hours at the range.

My few questions are; how can I tell which version of the rifle I have?  Also, it came with a 10 round box magazine.  I wanted to buy two more, but I am not sure if the mag's are different depending on which version of rifle I have.  So, any guidance will be appreciated. 

Thank you and cheers!

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 3:33pm
Welcome to the board.

Photos would help to see what rifle you have.

Ed
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 9:47pm
yes the magazine boxes are different between the patterns of rifles , but they also can vary between rifles of yje same pattern - enfields were not made to have interchangeable mags , each mag and bolt were hand fitted to the rifle it came with , will they interchange ? yes often , but they were not intended to , 
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:35pm
Welcome! You realize that Enfields were not intended to be loaded by changing magazines like an M16 is? Enfields are loaded with Charger clips, also referred to as stripper clips. (Sorry Hoadie!)
Enfield magazines have gotten ridiculously expensive! They often sell for $50.00+ on Evil-Bay.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 6:48am
Post a pic & we'll get you sorted out.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
bgoldstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Jon287 Jon287 wrote:

Welcome! You realize that Enfields were not intended to be loaded by changing magazines like an M16 is? Enfields are loaded with Charger clips, also referred to as stripper clips. (Sorry Hoadie!)
Enfield magazines have gotten ridiculously expensive! They often sell for $50.00+ on Evil-Bay.

Is Evil-Bay the only place to find good used 303 Mags???????? I would really like to find a good used 10 round for a fair price or possible trade.
Owl-Mirror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owl-Mirror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 11:06pm
Words are my Weapon of choice, Truth is my Shield
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 11:17pm
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 5:52am
I dare say that 5 round mags have become more expensive than 10 rnd.
Worth an arm & / or leg now
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 6:12am
5 round magazines don't always fit in the magazine well all that well either. There are different types from what I have found out, mostly to do with the thickness of the metal.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 8:04am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I dare say that 5 round mags have become more expensive than 10 rnd.
Worth an arm & / or leg now
Hoadie

Thanks for the helpful info Guy's ! Here is the craziness part of my search for a 10 rd. mag. I have two original 5rd mags for my rifle. I am guessing for the purpose of hunting regulation, 5rd mag minimum?

So, If by chance someone would like to do a little trading?????? I would be willing to part with one. Thanks
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 8:31am
"My few questions are; how can I tell which version of the rifle I have? "
It depends, the best way is to show a picture because it has so much more information than a description. Let me see if I can help somehow though.
Ignore the 5-round magazine for now they were never fitted originally, they are a hunting application devised later.

Look at these 3 rifles closely, pay particular attention to the sights, muzzle & wood at the muzzle end.
Are your rear sights at the back, or part way along the barrel?
How about the wood at the muzzle?
Is it flush, does the barrel stick out a couple of inches?
Or is it cut short like the other rifle, stopping part way along the barrel?

You want to do a trade a 5-round Santa Fe for a 10 round milSpec?
OK I'll do it in a heartbeat!

However we still need to figure out which magazine you need.
The mag for the No1 Does not work in the No4 or NO5 & vice versa.

This is a magazine for a No4 or No5.
Look at the rib on the back. if yours is longer than that, going all the way to the bottom it's for a No1.
Now look at the two vertical "grooves" in the side walls.
See how they stop short of the bottom? If they don't, but go all the way to the base-plate that's another sign you have a magazine for a No1.

Also remember the magazines have some individual fitting to match the individual gun which you may need to mess with. These are not like M-16's where you just swap them out.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 9:33am
Shamu, I sent you a PM after your last reply before all the awesome pics. You will have to let me know if you have received it or not? If not, maybe it didn't go through because I am still a Newbie here?

My 303 has ROF poorly stamped with 42A an B27838 under it. I am guessing Royal ordnance factory, from the Maltby Arsenal, 1942 ?  I wasn't  able to ID the numbers 1 or 9 in front of the 42A stamp. Looked to me like a number 3 and 1  in place of the 1,9 ? Thanks
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 1:24pm
I got the PM, I'd just logged off for awhile. I also just sent a reply.
It should actually say on the metal "band" round the wrist which model it is exactly.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 1:40pm
The receiver has No.4 MK1 on it. The two groves on the side of the Mag. also stop short of the bottom Hope this helps.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 2:26pm
Yep!
You need mags for the No4.No5, not the No1.Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic