Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

m1917 p14 stock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babayaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: m1917 p14 stock?
    Posted: February 11 2015 at 7:03am
Question, I saw a winchester 1917 with a p14 stock. Does this make sence?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 4:29pm
no - they are not interchangeable , particularly that direction , the magazine well will be short , 

what makes you believe it to be so ? 

oh , and welcome to the site , as you are new i will elaborate without further input , 

these both - the Model 1917 and Pattern 1914 rifles were made by the three manufacturers , winchester , remington , and eddystone , no parts were interchanged between factory in mfgr , that happened in service and afterlife , 

they both went thru refurb between the wars , some refitting of barrels and stocks and such occured , the weedon rework of the P14 did include removal of volleys , plugging the marking disc hole and a few refitted with the new made scottish stocks without the volley sights , but all P14 originals had them , the M17 did not have them but did have grasping grooves like the P14 , 

the possibility exists to fit a pattern 14 action to an m1917 stock - although rework will be required and noticeable , the other way not so much , some small parts interchange but the list is short in the big picture 
babayaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babayaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 7:13pm
Thank you 4 your reply I have lookedat this rifle many times and they lable it a 06.not a 303 but it has a english stock cant mistake the volley cut out.I wonder but boubt that it was in combat and repaired by or british parts used..P.s.even the butstock has the disk cutout

mike16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 2:23pm
the p14/m17  lead an interesting life and many possibilities exist. as Square 10 states.

do consider that many m17 were refurbished stateside after the war and again right before WWII.

m17's were given to the british at the beginning of WWII. and went through an overhaul/ repair program there as well.

As for the p14, they were  manufactures by all three manufacturers  listed above  and to tollerances that would require some hand fitting during final installation regardless who manufactured them.

as for the m1917 very close tollerances were adheared to and so there is the possibility that any part from any m1917 cane be installed in any m17 rifle and it will work (fireing pin  being an exception)

as a rule... parts between p14 and m17 do NOT interchange. be carefull buying parts and parts guns DP or otherwise to correct or restore a rifle. Stocks  do not interchange directly without obvious modifications appearent to simple observation.

There were many p14's overhauled in England after WWI and put into storage. There were wholly new stocks manufactured at that time.

No clear answers to your specific question here but a few  key details hint that the stock is not correct.

P14 stocks  would not have been used on m17's
No m17's I know of hade  british volley sites
No rebuilt m17's used old or new  p14 stocks in any factory rebuild programs on either side of the pond
No rebuilt p14' in the overhaul program after WW1 had  volley sites installed on the new wood, at least based on my sources.

It is as stated above, most likely that your stock is not correct for your rifle.

I believe Boyds makes a good repro m17 stock set. 

A couple of excellent reasonably priced books on the p14/m17 rifles will clear this q uestion up and are fun and interesting reads.

I have owned and restored several of the m17's. fun accurate shooters. affordably priced and easy to restore.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 5:41pm
please check this one out with a reputable gunsmith , that sounds like a P14 stock to me , and if bubba did a bunch of cutting to fit an M17 action it may not be safe -- that said the roll marks are distinctly different in the the P14 was marked with an R=remington , W=winchester , or ERA=eddystone , while the US/Model 1917/MFGR/SN was marked with the full mfgr name , that should tell you if you actually have a P14 or an M17 

here is my remington for example -

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic