Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mues Special Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mues Special Sight
    Posted: February 24 2015 at 5:22pm
I have just fitted a Mues Special aperture sight to my Lithgowicon No. 1 Mk.111* There is no "witness/reference" mark on the moveable block of the sight to line up with the fixed range marks on the left hand side. I have no access to a range at the moment to test any adjustment that I make. But this is what I've done. I have assumed that the top of the moveable block is the "witness" mark. Positioning this at 500yds. for example (see pic), and positioning my still installed rear sight at 500yds. Looking through the aperture I get a good sight picture. (Original rear sight vee and front blade). So I'm assuming that the top of the moving block is the "witness" mark. Am I correct ? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mungo

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:41am
What you have is a vernier sight. If you look at the set of indicies on the sliding part you'll discover they are slightly differently spaced from the range marks. Only one will line up exactly. This is how you "adjust" (compensate) for different loads, but using whichever offset vernier index aligns with the range you want.

More detailed vernier instructions here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
mungo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 7:53pm
Thanks for the reply Shamu. I can see how the vernier scale works to make very fine range/load adjustments. But what I was trying to work out is how to use the fixed scale on the left hand side to get my range in the ball park roughly, before any fine adjustments. Do I use the top of the sliding block (the piece with the screw thread running through it), to line up with the range marks ?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 5:40am
Start with "0" & correct from there would be my guess. Supposedly there were several versions of the sight, yours seems to be an early one with a fixed vernier, later ones fixed the problem with a sliding vernier plate, like the Parker-Hales.

You could align the "0" on the right with the range index on the left & correct for fall of shot.

Or you could "crowbar" it, as you don't have access to a range. Setting the existing sights for a good zero then aligning the Mues with the others as a sort of co-witness to get a starting point.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
mungo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 9:32pm
Thanks Shamu. I'll give that a try.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 5:22am
I floated the question to a few more knowledgeable than me on these older goodies. If I get an answer I'll pass it on.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 5:35am
Sorry for the delay, this was obscure enough it took a while for me to find anything. I don't know how accurate this is as Aussie chipped shoulders came into play, so feel free to add or comment if this is not what you're looking for.

Supposedly there is a second scale on the inside (facing the bolt) & an "index" hidden under a washer surrounding the elevation lock screw's washer. I don't see a washer in your pic, just a ring where one might have been?

The person posting the info says the inside scale is in MOA & the outside one in yards. & that you align the scale of choice with the hidden index.

Unfortunately that doesn't address the vernier scale, or how you get a zero. Hopefully its at least of some help. He also said it  was similar enough to a different brand called the "Central" that it caused a copyright infringment suit to be brought, maybe a Central sight guy might be able to help a bit more?

I did find this, which you might find informative, cycle to slide # 33 for the Mues Special.
http://www.slideshare.net/tcattermole/hbsa-lecture-on-enfield-sights
mungo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 2:34pm
Thanks for your efforts Shamu. As you can see I posed my question on both forums. The information is correct. It's hard to see, but there is a small washer underneath the locking nut in my top pic. Just big enough to obscure a "witness" mark !!! A quick modification to the washer, means that the witness mark is now visible.  I now have a starting point. The rest is up to me. Smile
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 6:01am
No problem post it wherever you can get a bit of info I say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic