Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hornady 174gr BTHP for hunting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 1:13pm
The thing with bullet impact is its variable.
I remember reading that most of the "Being thrown about" is actually muscle spasm in response to the deverstating impact, not the impact itself. The thoery being that if the bullet had the power to flip a 150 Lb animal the recoil should hurl the 175 Lb hunter on his butt. Its that every action has an equal, but opposite reaction thing.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 1:14pm
OK, its like the animal, not actually "white" but "wide"?Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 1:17pm
You'll hafta get Rhino to expound, mate.
Don't wanna "steal his thunder"...or actually even THINK about that critter!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Rolltide386 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolltide386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

...Oh - forgot to mention..When Rhino was here last time - he slept in that den with my deer mount. Suffice to say..he was looking at it in a very strange way..had to remove it for the duration of his stay.(No tellin what would've happened to it!) ...him & his "Rhino"
Hoadie
Oh lord haha
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 3:11pm
Shamu,

Were you In that boot when it fell on the deer in Surrey??

What you mention at the top of this page, (Something being thrown around) is like we see in some 3rd rate movies, where the bad guy gets shot with a shotgun, and is picked up and hurled through  the door or whatever.  If That was the case, I wouldn't want to be on the other  end of that shotgun either!

Elk show little reaction to being hit, sound like relatives of your imported Sika deer Tony.

The quickest I ever knocked one down was a front -quartering shot,  with a Martini-Henry.  About 125 yards away.
Mind, the bullet broke the neck/spine at the junction, so only a single kick & it was over.
the old 480 gr. bullet went a lot further though, exiting well behind the ribs.
The hit sounded like hitting a tree with a stick.
Second fastest was a 6x6 bull, and a 215 gr .303 at about 175 yds.
One shot broadside. Took 2 steps & fell over.  (shot him a bit lower than planned. was aiming for a higher lung shot & got him through the ticker instead....open sight and older eyes to blame!) 
Those collected with the 7 x 57 sometimes turned and looked at me, like I had missed or something, then lay down, and tipped over.  
Have seen chaps with great big guns shoot a full-grown bull elk in a hind leg broadside.
No matter how big a gun, a shot like that is not going to work.
I tell them to go home and practice 'till they can hit something where it lives.

About things watching you;
A good pal in Switzerland collects Indo-Persian swords, and has one with a tiger -head pommel.
Has to keep it in a drawer as it is always watching him with its little ruby eyes!........they follow him about the room....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolltide386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

Is there a way to edit posts?
I called Tony Tim by mistake!  Very sorry about that.

Richard.
You sure can. On the upper right side of your post is post options. In the options is edit post.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolltide386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 8:32pm
I have a question that's off topic but I figured I started the thread so its ok haha. If I chamber a round in my enfield and slowly release the cocking piece can I recock and fire that round without recycling the bolt? It seems like I could but just thought I'd ask. Sorry if its a silly question.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:23am
Yes you can, but its not safe.
If the bolt snaps past 1/2 cock it may fire & if you let it fully forward the firng pin is resting on the cap under spring tension.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:26am
"Were you In that boot when it fell on the deer in Surrey??"
No, & it didn't fall it was hurled with malice aforethought!

It a bit like the other "Campfire tale" in this thread, to be told round the campfire.Shocked
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolltide386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Yes you can, but its not safe.
If the bolt snaps past 1/2 cock it may fire & if you let it fully forward the firng pin is resting on the cap under spring tension.
Ok thank you sir
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 9:44am
What you mention at the top of this page, (Something being thrown around) is like we see in some 3rd rate movies, where the bad guy gets shot with a shotgun, and is picked up and hurled through  the door or whatever.  If That was the case, I wouldn't want to be on the other  end of that shotgun either!
  Personally I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the door if he did come flying through it! Big smileLOL
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:57pm
Well Tony - you know me well `nuff to know I speak truth.
In both those instances.(& I`ve dispached many a white tail), they were literally heaved in a backward somersault. One of èm I hit when I had a broken ankle. I still am in awe of how hard that bullet hit, & results.
All " 150 gr. amazing
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:50pm
The somersault is not caused by the bullet hitting the animal, rather a muscle reaction. The flight part of "fight or flight". Just like how a person jumps when you give them a fright. You are not actually touching them.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 10:37pm
Hoadie I know you very well. It's amazing just how much punishment an anaimal can take before it drops even with the right bullet placement.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 7:32am
Yes, yes, yes to what the Farmer sez.
I've been saying the same for years.
Pro Deo et Patria
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 3:05am
Originally posted by DairyFarmer DairyFarmer wrote:

The somersault is not caused by the bullet hitting the animal, rather a muscle reaction.

I've seen a critter somersault over backwards from a side shot from a 22lr.  
303Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic