Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sling color?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sling color?
    Posted: January 25 2007 at 2:04pm

Did the Brits use a olive drab green sling or a khaki sling in the ETO during WWII w/ the No. 4 Mk.1*?

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 3:49pm
i always thought the green slings and webbing was for the jungle theatres..i know oz troops blancoed their gear when they finished up in north africa and went on to push the japs out new guinea \ pacific region.someone else might have some thoughts
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 10:08pm

What rifle do you have? And is there a regiment number on it. get me that information and I will give you the correct sling color.

The Enfield Guru "Cookie Monster"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 7:42am
I have 1 painted white, & one Khaki
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Ranger-366 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 2:40pm
CM- I have a US PROPERTY  no.4 mark1* Savage 56C2689 it has a B faintly stamped just below the receiver below the serial # and also on the mag below the S.  From what I am learning this may mean it was repaired at BSA Shirley during WWII???  No regiment #'s on it at all.  I bought it at a sportingoods store in OR and has a Century International Arms, Georgia, VT .303 USA digital looking stamp on it.  I got it for christmas and have yet to fire it.  Can't wait to get it sighted in for Mulies and Elk!!  I just wanted to have the authentic sling color for it.  It came with a khaki sling.  Any info would be much appreciated as I am enthuastic about learning.  Thanks

Ranger-366  
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 6:57pm
One thing your gonna find about hunting with it, Ranger.Your gonna curse yourself for using a military sling! She may not feel heavy to you now...wait till your out hunting with her & she begins to put t he wieght on as the minutes tick by.(Like a woman) & that sling cuts into your shoulder.Use the military sling for display...but buy a good wide padded sling for hunting
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 7:37pm

i with you on that hoadie..she'll start to dig in a and bite the shoulder...but thats all part of the fun eh? ive never carried mine for more that an hour or so at a time..so ill put up with it.

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 2:27am
 Ranger You can still get blanco in green or brown to colour the slings and webbing. The Green Howards had green webbing. CM should be able to match the colour with the regimental number.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 2:36am
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/019Green.htm#bh

Web site link for the Green Howards if you want to have a look.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 8:34am
Thanks Hoadie and Allan for the tips, I think I will try the orig. sling at first to see what kind of man I really am, I mean if the boys in WWII used it why can't I?  LOL  Also I plan on hunting with a 180 grain Remington Core Lokt.  Is that a good round for Deer and Elk?  

Thanks Tony for the link quite a great history there on the Green Howards.  I think it maybe difficult to track my rifle back to a particular Regiment.  Who knows, maybe CM?????

Ranger-366 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 10:17am
180 grn is OK for deer & elk.I prefer 150 for deer, myself.180 OR 150 for Elk, its whatever your comfy with, mate! Take her someplace to shoot & use BOTH rounds.Note the difference in the two rounds.You'll see a bit of a drop with the 180 over 150.I don't like to damage more meat than necessary, so I'm comfy with 150.I almost shot an Elk by accident a year ago.
Remington makes good stuff.I got it in my safe, here - in 150 & 180
Hoadie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 12:45am
Thanks Hoadie I will try them both out!

Ranger-366
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 2:03am
Also, was the statement in my 2nd post this topic correct regarding the B stamp on my Savage No4 Mk1*?  Thanks in advance you guys have been great with new info for a rookie like me.

Ranger-366   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic