Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield No8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 11:43am
OK the screw inside moves the windage?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 6:57pm
Its been a long time since any activity regarding the Enfield No8's has been posted, so thought I'd jump in. Our club's monthly 22 rifle fun shoot features paper and metal targets at 50 yds, with a couple of 1/4" plate metal gongs at 100 yds (4" sq. for the scoped rifles and 6" sq. for us iron-sight die-hards). Both are shot off the bench, using an elbows-only position. The reliable repeatability of the PH 7A rear sight on my BSA Martini Model 12 allows me to normally rack up 9/10 or 10/10 scores on the 100 yd gong, then come back down to dead-on groups of an inch or so at 50, but I've been wanting to try my Enfield No8 for the shoot, so I did a bit of repeatability testing with it and its TZ 4/47 rear sight. For the PH 7A on the Martini, it is 35 clicks UP Elevation to go from 50 to 100 yds. For the TZ 4/47 on the Enfield, it is 15.
I did a preliminary 100 yd test on Mar 31, with the No8 initially sighted in for 50 yds. I got a nice 1.5" group that fell ~11.5" below the center of the bull. My mystic intuition (Norse/Celtic/Iberian roots) led me to start with 15 clicks UP Elevation in a search for dead-center. Imagine my surprise when it ended up as a 5-round 1.25" group (all 10's). I packed up and went home without firing another round (and bought a lottery ticket on the way home, a $10 winner as it turned out). I digress.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/BSA_islandguy/ENF8_33116_3_zps3cmxd1bs.jpg
This past Monday, the 11th, I went back to re-test. The No8 had been reset to 50yds, so I cranked it up 15 clicks and found it hitting low at 100 yds. 18 clicks UP and 1 RT got it hitting in and around the bull. The next two targets scored 99 (2x) and 97 (5x) respectively.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/BSA_islandguy/ENF8_41116_2_zpsdzallqxh.jpg
I then went 18 clicks DN and tried it at 50 yds. The first two rounds hit low, so I tried 3 UP and it put 7 in the 10 ring and one in the 9 ring. I then tried another 10 at 50 and got 100 (6x).
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/BSA_islandguy/ENF8_41116_3_zpsxkokujw2.jpg
Going back UP 15, with the moderate, gusty winds picking up, I managed a 96 (0x) at 100 yds.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/BSA_islandguy/ENF8_41116_6_zpswbvtjc0
The No8, with the TZ rear and Lyman 17A front sight, is proving to be a good combination.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 9:24am
That's some great results!  I would be interested to know what ammunition you are using in your No8.
I have standard sights on my 2 and for our competitions, we shoot 10 shot's prone and 10 standing. 
This year the targets are half the diameter, so practice has been a bit frustrating when standing! any pulled shot and the points loss is horrendous. Still it's the same for everyone so just see what I can do n the day. 
First .22 competition is in 8 days time. Large bore is this weekend.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 9:56am
Thanks Zed. Lately, I've been using CCI Std Velocity (40 gr solids) weighed on my Lyman digital scale. The rifle also shoots very well with RWS Club, but that has been impossible to get locally for quite a while now.
Our monthly 22 rifle fun shoot normally has 6 positions (10 rds ea): bench using front rest and rear bag, bench using elbows only, sitting on a stool, standing with a single-pole shooting "stick", standing off-hand, for the 50 yd work, and another bench using elbows only for the 100 yd gongs. There are two of us using aperture sights exclusively, some folks use scopes only, and some a mix of sights (two different rifles). We aperture-sights-only guys (BSA Martinis and Enfields) often out-shoot the scope folks.
UK trigger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 3:40am
I've got a slot on my ticket for another 22lr
But trying to find a decent no8 at a fair price
Is a bit like finding a hen with teeth ,😟
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 11:05am
They are expensive, but they won't get any cheaper. So a good investment long term. They only made about 20,000 rifles. So compared to the No4's etc, they are quite rare.
Have a word with Harry Gordon, he has good contacts for that type of stuff.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 1:11pm
Ok thanks ,, Harry Gorden ?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 3:37am
Google "harry gordon firearms"
the site is in co-operation with a german dealer, but Harry is based in Essex. His contact details are on the site.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 7:01am
Hi Zed, found the website he has some very nice no8s
They start pushing £900 up to. £1500 looked up a few other
Websites,, out of my leugue at the moment😟
I'll make do with my 10/22 that's a lot of fun
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 9:13am
They are expensive; but definitely one for the wish list.

Shot from a rest at 50 metres for ammo test (Eley Team)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 6:17pm
they seem to work just fine , imagine that ...
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 3:18pm
Nice Enfield No8 for sale on the Canadian Gunnutz website for anyone interested. Listed in the EE Milsurp section.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 7:36pm
"...I've got a slot on my ticket for another 22lr
But trying to find a decent no8 at a fair price 
Is a bit like finding a hen with teeth ,😟..."

i have the same issue here - ive wanted one , even sought one out , im not finding here either , 
schnitz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by islandguy islandguy wrote:

Nice Enfield No8 for sale on the Canadian Gunnutz website for anyone interested. Listed in the EE Milsurp section.
Jeeez i paid $300  for mine 
 a little hard to see in this piccy its the far  rifle . but it has the parker hale sight mde for the Mk8 only sucky part is the plate on side was missing   although a standard parker hale will fit

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 7:45pm
Gorgeous collection, schnitz!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 9:25pm
ditto that , fantastic accumulation of fine rifles 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic