Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old School Bubba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old School Bubba
    Posted: October 25 2015 at 1:59pm
ikesdad :   The gun was a Parker Hale "Deluxe Sporter" when I got it.    Meaning it had the barrel shortened to 22" and the new Parker Hale Front Sight soldered on.  Crooked, I might add!
Mine also had a Enfield Sight Blade installed in it, which I think PH just did so they wouldn't have to buy others. It also had the simple L shaped 300/600 yard Mk2 rear sight which I wouldn't mind using as a back up if I decide to put a Red Dot on this gun.  I already have the mount designed as it is just a variation of my Redfield Sight mount like on My #4 Mk1.  It positions the TRS 25 about where shown below.
It actually has Parker Hale stamped into the other side but it is hard to see due to the grit blasting.  Before I Cerakote this gun I will bead blast it and the finish will be smoother and the logo will probably show a little better.  I have been surprised how well Cerakote translates engravings.

This gun also has a bigger hole in the end now that it is .35-303. 

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by ikesdad ikesdad wrote:

WR, what front sight is on that rifle ?

The front sight ramp I have on mine is an after market ramp that a regular Enfield sight holds in place.

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 12:42pm
Yep, if you look carefully at the "saddle" part of the charger bridge you can see the rivets in the right (glancing, shallow angle) light. They're just at the top of the flat before it transitions into the outward belled part.

Actually the No4 is a riveted part also, but just the cross piece, the sides are machined from the receiver. If you look down on the top of the action you'll see the ends of them.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 11:51am
The bridge was riveted on the No 1 actions Randy so while it was not integral it may have added little in the way of stiffness. A slight locating recess in the left rail is a locating area for the bridge so that when removed needs welding up to create a smooth rail for the sporter look. I have cut them off and ground the remains back to the rail line. You can see the locating rivets in these pics. 

Bridge cut off

ground then filed back to the action rails and when blued would almost disappear
Doing it this way allows the Lee Speed styled stock to be used.

Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 11:49am
WR, what front sight is on that rifle ?
Pro Deo et Patria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 11:16am
I have a question for you guys. 

How is the Charger Bridge attached to the #1 actions?

I have seen many Enfield Sporting Rifles that didn't have it, so I figured it was easily removable.

On the #4 action the bridge is machined into it as an integral part of the receiver, which appears to be much stronger.

Please explain the differences in strength as you know them.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 10:46pm
Great to see you here Frank and to have another look at that lovely Myrtle stock. The satisfaction of turning a plank of wood into a desirable rifle stock cant be over emphasised and when it is done as well as you have with this one it certainly shows in the result.
While the 303 is and has always been a spectacular hunting cartridge and capable of taking a wide variety of game throughout the world, the Lee Enfield by BSA was traditionally  offered in the 375 with the 303-35 being a common aftermarket chambering as well but the 41 cal you and I both have, is a step up again. With a 330 gn cast bullet approaching 2000fps in a 7 1/2lb rifle they are a very potent performer.
Von Gruff

FrankG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 10:28am
With a BUNCH of tutoring from Garry(VonGruff) I was able to get one whittled out . This one I rebarreled to 405 Kiwi Express a shortened 405 Win to fit the mag well. Also had to make a mag well insert for single stack feed.  Stock is from old Oregon Myrtle plank .
I have a 375-303 and a 303 in the works about 75% complete.
A big thank you to Garry !! Thumbs Up

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 4:57pm
Well I will be getting a P-17 stock from them when I can log back onto their site !!!!  some reason my password wont work and they dont reply with a new one when I ask !!!

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 11:13am
The wood on that gun fit very well out of the box and required a minimum of "fitting" which consisted of some light filing in a couple of places to mate up perfectly.

It was good value for the money and I would use Boyd's again in a heartbeat.

Randy
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 5:00pm
That grey Laminate is a fine looking rifle !!!!   I like that look !
"White Rhino"

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 4:15pm
Your input is always appreciated, W.R.B! I agree wholeheartedly in the .303 being a great hunting round. I truly wish I had a dollar for every deer I have taken with my No 1's. It is a very effective round especially when using 150 gr bullets.

I posted before the rest showed up LOL  Your work in progress is looking mighty fine to me! You are going to end up with a very nice looking sporter in the end!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 3:51pm
Ok guys I feel I should contribute my .02 to this parade.

I got my first #4 Mk1 last year and immediately tore it apart and refinished the stocks.  Since it was a Parker Hale "Standard Sporter" meaning it had the sight protector and the upper handguard removed, and the fore end cut just behind the barrel band.I rebuilt it to mimic an L39 kind of. 

The .303 cartridge is just a viable a hunting round now as it was 100 years ago.  The animals have not gotten any tougher and fools that think you have to have at least a .300 Win Mag to take a 100 lb Texas whitetail just have read too many magazine articles.

The .303 is just short of a .308 and not that far from the 30-06. (especially the way I load them)

I have Hornady 150 gr and 174 gr RN's and 215 gr Woodleighs that will knock down anything in N/A and plenty of Africa as well.

I shoot this gun in both Short and Long Range silhouette and in Short Range my highest score was 31/40 using cast boolits.  I just shot 5/40 in Long Range last month and hit 2 Rams at 550yds offhand with iron sights!  Which impressed the he!! out of me!

My other gun is a Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter POS made from a #4 Mk1* Long Branch. It has a 22" barrel, no doubt cut down to eliminate muzzle wear from cleaning. It also had the abbreviated fore end and a new PH Ramp sight attached.

I didn't mess around with this gun as the barrel was a worn 2 groove so I had it bored out by JES to 35-303.  I also bought a set of Boyd's Gray Laminate stocks for the gun and am about to Black Cerakote it.

It is a work in progress but should be a good shooter. 

Where I'm at on all these guns is that if they are not a clean decent full mil gun, then modification and sporterizing is the highest and best use for them.  They made 17 million of these guns and there is plenty around for the purists to hoard.  For the rest of us who actually shoot there is plenty of them as well  My Guns and I am not talking just these two, follow that philosophy, and frankly I don't really care what the purists think.   Randy
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

NICE! I like your gun room too!

Yea, the Gun room is cluttered now !!  Im getting ready to build another one for just the gun shop, so all thats for sale will be sold out the other one and this one will be for just my collection and reloading !!

The BEER Rhino!! Don't forget the BEER!!

Hoadie, I have 3 refrigerators for beer now !!!! 1 in the gun room, 1 on the screen porch and the extra one in the kitchen... even though Lisa said I could not keep beer in it !!!  but she wont walk to the porch to put a 12 pack away.... so one gets stuck in there every afternoon !!!  and if they are empty, there is always Son in Laws fridge !!!!
I also told Boogie he needs to keep some beer in his fridge for me !!!! if he wont I know Susan will... She loves her Father in Law !!!!!
"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

NICE! I like your gun room too!

Yea, the Gun room is cluttered now !!  Im getting ready to build another one for just the gun shop, so all thats for sale will be sold out the other one and this one will be for just my collection and reloading !!

The BEER Rhino!! Don't forget the BEER!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by LilysDad LilysDad wrote:

Originally posted by Von Gruff Von Gruff wrote:

Some of us still regard the hunting capabilities of the 303 cartridge and I have done quite a few in the sporting rifle configuration over the last few years for guys who still hunt them.

This is one I did for myself

VG You do a wonderful job of making that charger bridge look like it was never there.

In that first photo, that stock blank looks very silvery. Is that some kind of down under hardwood or is that truly walnut?

It is a 1901 Mk 1* so no charger bridge. All of the ones I have done so far have been on the long Lee from 1893 through to 1901. The blank is NZ Walnut. This is where I get all my blanks from and over Christmas he is going to update his website and include many of the stocks I have done from his blanks http://www.nzwalnut.co.nz/

This is a 1916 action that I have removed the charger bridge from though, just to see what it would look like and with a good blueing the line around remains (left to fill the recess)  would just about disappear
Von Gruff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic