Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flyboys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flyboys
    Posted: February 01 2007 at 9:47am

I picked up the movie Flyboys on DVD last night and watched it. Was slightly disappointed in the battle arms used. I did not see any Enfield’s but the weapons used were correct for the French. For those of you that do not know about this movie it is about the “Lafayette Escadrille” a group of American’s that joins the French flying corps. For the most part it was historically correct. Taking place around 1916 they French were flying nueport 11’s and 17’s. The Germans were flying Fokker DR-1 tri-planes which did not enter service till 1917. But you know Hollywood no one would know the Fokker D-VI or the Albatross D-II . As I further take apart this movie historically I will keep you all apprised.

Cookie Monster
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 3:29pm
Ah the magic of Movies ! In the final battle scenes of ZULU the British soldiers go from using Martini Henrys to Lee Metfords ! In the Film ZULU DAWN when the British are being over run watch for the Brit soldier using a  Metford !

Remember VIC MORROW in COMBAT using a Thompson that never ran out of Ammo !

Dave

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 8:13pm
ah yes..ol sarg. Saunders with the 6000 round thompson..speakin of combat dave...theres an episode when the brits are holding firm in an old  train station  ...i didnt know the brits used garands!!!!Star
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 7:59am
Of course we did! We also dressed in Yank uniforms ! Thats why they recon the yanks won the war!! Its Hollywood its got to be true!   Dead
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 8:55am
Damn, they screwed up bigtime in Band of Brothers then, for some reason the brits are wearing their Tommy tin hats and carrying No4Mk1 enfields and STEN's.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 9:59am
Yeah thats just a token gesture!! The war was  really won by John Wayne Audie Murphy and of course General Patton! We couldn't afford troops we were bankrupt due to lease lend!  Evil%20Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 2:58pm
AHEM!!!(Lend/Lease,Tony)..However-if Hollywood were to use the REAL causes for plots in their movies..they'd never sell! ie: they have the WORLD convinced that the U.S. (un)civil war was fought for slavery!!! Damn..if ya didn't laugh, you'd hafta cry!!Should be a law that TRUTH should be told... but then-there wouldn't be a movie industry
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 3:01pm
yeh..but as small as it is in detail..it wouldnt have hurt to have the brits in combat holdin enfields..geez they only needed half a dozen of them..they coulda swapped for each guy in the action shots.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 6:11am
Here's a little factoid fer ya: during WWII (39 - 45, for the REAL participants) Canada - with the majority of here able bodies overseas(or on em), coming from an aggregarian economy - produced more than 800,000 vehicles for the war effort!!That don't include ships, planes,tanks & the like!!Holy crap..I'm impressed!!They had to be right hand drive,too..to make it easier for our commonwealth brothers in arms.
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:23am
a bloke i worked with hoadie was into yank cars,he visited the states on a regular basis, i told him he was better off movin there! anyway..he had a 58 tbird, pontiac and a 2 door Cougar rx7---i think it was a rx7. anyway..they were left hand drive except the pontiac, he said he got from canada.. he let me drive the t-bird--left hand drive..jumped in, slid the steerin column back and took her for a spin in the car park ..after doin half a lap it felt uncomfortable, so i got out before i crashed her.Smile
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 12:58pm
Cougar XR-7.We're left drive here.Dunno why/how he got a Pontiac with Right drive..unless it was slated for export or somethin
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 8:38pm
iall i know is he got her from canada and thats all i can go off...you are more than likely right about it being an import from canada probably made for oz specs.. yes xr-7, thats the one.i was close! just backwards..as usual  Wacko
oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:17am
I watched the movie Flyboys also. Thought it was O.K. But I thought that the only red Tri Fokkers were Manfreds and then his brother Lothars after Manfred was shot down? Then Goerings was all white? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic