Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My No.1 MKIII SMLE - Restoring begins! 10/22/17
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My No.1 MKIII SMLE - Restoring begins! 10/22/17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 8:45am
..."3 Band Enfield Brothers"
Loose wimmen tightened here
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 12:15pm
Here is a thought or two of the time line on this rifle.

The barrel is a recycled one, the 1917 date on it comes from its first incarnation, not so much as when it was fitted to your rifle..

What is readily apparent is that it was fitted and the barrel was renumbered, suggesting to me that it was an official swap done in service by an armourer. This also suggests to me that it was done post 1925. 

Here is a tidbit of Enfield minutia;... Before 1925, according to British regulations, it was the barrel that was considered to be the master component of a rifle. This goes back to the days of muzzle loaders, the barrel was the gun. 
If the barrel on your rifle had been changed out before Jan 1925, it would have been the receiver that was renumbered to match, the barrel having the master serial number.
In 1925 things changed and it applies today, in that it is now the receiver that is deemed to be the master component. A replacement barrel would be renumbered to match the receiver serial, as yours is.

The bolt is another recycled component renumbered, albeit with a typo, is likely an armourer's change too. So this war horse has been there and has put on some miles in service. It might have been through two world wars and had more than one barrel change.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

..."3 Band Enfield Brothers"

This group is the best! Clap

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE
1942 NO4. MK1 four digit BSA

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

Here is a thought or two of the time line on this rifle.

The barrel is a recycled one, the 1917 date on it comes from its first incarnation, not so much as when it was fitted to your rifle..

What is readily apparent is that it was fitted and the barrel was renumbered, suggesting to me that it was an official swap done in service by an armourer. This also suggests to me that it was done post 1925. 

Here is a tidbit of Enfield minutia;... Before 1925, according to British regulations, it was the barrel that was considered to be the master component of a rifle. This goes back to the days of muzzle loaders, the barrel was the gun. 
If the barrel on your rifle had been changed out before Jan 1925, it would have been the receiver that was renumbered to match, the barrel having the master serial number.
In 1925 things changed and it applies today, in that it is now the receiver that is deemed to be the master component. A replacement barrel would be renumbered to match the receiver serial, as yours is.

The bolt is another recycled component renumbered, albeit with a typo, is likely an armourer's change too. So this war horse has been there and has put on some miles in service. It might have been through two world wars and had more than one barrel change.

Thanks so much for the information! You guys are an elite bunch that produce a wealth of knowledge! I am learning and absorbing everything!

I am so glad to be able to get this thing back in it's original configuration. I still need to locate the fore end walnut pieces.  It's been a job!

Cheers to you fine gents! Beer

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE
1942 NO4. MK1 four digit BSA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic