Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Political
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any predictions for this time next year ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2015 at 7:02am
As I sit here this afternoon, I am getting emails with seriously low prices on bullets. I get my end of year bonus end next month. Think I'll max my credit card out in the next few weeks and buy lots of stock. The courier is going to curse me for all the heavy parcels.

When I buy components I write the date and price on the box/tin. When friends need stuff I charge them a bit extra over what I paid. I got a box of .375 300gr BarnesX bullets I bought in '96 or '97 and paid a whopping R150 (US$20 back then) for 100. Now they don't make those any more (or in 100's), but the replacement TSX (The Same eXact) would cost me north of R2100 (US$140). Working back the exchange rate (to negate the declining value or the Rand) , it comes out at 650% increase over 20 years or 30% per year. I couldn't get a third of that at the best interest rate at the bank.

I know a guy who doesn't put away his money in the bank, he buys new firearms and sells them after a year or two for a goo0d return.
Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 3:39am
The word is ogives not orgives, keep it simple use bullet heads or projectiles. Using fanciful names for substandard products does not improve their quality or performance and leave people scratching their heads to figure out what you're talking about, even though what your saying suggest that you might be talking about bullet heads.
Gun Nut 4
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 5:19am
I believe he was talking about the ogive part of the bullet head. saying the whole ogive is lead and only the bearing surface of the bullet head is jacketed. so not only lead tipped but also lead back to the bearing surface of the bullet head. so it has a lead ogive. he used it correctly. also the ogive is the section of the bullet head that touches the lands when seating to the lands so hes saying it may be all lead to enable you to seat to the lands as if it was a cast bullet

Edit: i do see where he used it inplace of projectile one of the times he used the word...
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 7:31am

Technically it is also wrong to call it a bullet head. A bullet is the bit that leaves the firearm.

The ogive is the part of the bullet where it reaches its maximum diameter. It is not necessarily the part that touches the lands.

We do have to give a bit of leeway when discussing things unless you are really discussing a technical part. Gun is used to describe various types of firearms. Round to describe an assembled cartridge, etc

Ogive is not in most spell checks and misspelling it orgive is understandable. Much like Americans can't spell colour or tyre correctly, let alone have the steering wheel on the right side of the car.

And don't even get me started on the use of "point blank range"
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 8:19am
More Enfields and more ammo.

I am hoping for good things.

Beer costs to go down.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 11:37am
Apologies for the spelling of "ogive"! Ouch
However I would be surprised if anyone was confused by the term even when spelt incorrectly. 
I tend to use this term for rifle projectiles and "bullet" for pistol projectiles because of the shape. I realise this is not necessarily an accurate description; (as the pistol bullet is also a form of ogive) but thats just how I differentiate between the two.

Regarding the quality of the SB "projectiles". I am please with the results. I'm getting good results with my no1 rifle at half the price of the Sierra's. That means I can shoot more rounds  for the same money Thumbs Up

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 2:49pm
Speaking of 'point blank range,' there are some differing ideas about it. I believe the term was initially used to describe the setting of a cannon at zero elevation. It now seems to be used to describe the distance traveled as a projectile moves from the top to bottom through a targeted area. I only wish they had left well enough alone, and found another term to describe the latter idea. 
Gun Nut 4
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 7:19pm
Wikipedia describes it best.
I hadn't considered the taper of a cannon. If you think of an old navel gun you don't see it that much, but then think of a civil war type gun (the highly polished ones you see in the movies) and it starts making sense.

Was this angle a consideration when guns were cast?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 8:09pm
we still get to watch the legacy building efforts of the lame duck - it WILL influence what occurs this year , he is off to a great start , lets see if he can dig himself to carters level , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 3:03am
You guys & your improper nomenclature!
A "GUN" is a GUN!! Like a SHOTGUN or an artillery piece.
A "RIFLE" is a rifle,(& yes - the civil war used RIFLES!! )
A "MAGAZINE" is a Magazine..not a "clip", & a "CHARGER" is a charger, not a "STRIPPER"!! Oi...
(I made the mistake of referring to the 10th Battery's 25 pounder @ the levy as a "Canon" @ the New Years Levy..Damn near wore the whole bowl of "Bull's Milk" for that)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 7:45pm
i take it that was a big rifle - im not clear , there were canon that were described by the pound - they were fed from the front 

http://www.yesterdaysweapons.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12976
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 3:46am
When I took my black powder artillery training, we used 3 pieces. The 12 lb Napoleon, & 3" were referred to as "Canons". The Parrot was a "RIFLE".
I dunno...but methinks the Legion uniform is the only thing that saved me from wearing the 10th's bowl of Bull's Milk @ the levy.(Won't refer to the 25 pounder as a "Canon" again! They get bent outta shape worse than ME!! )
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 5:48pm
the parrot is a rifled barrel so i get that , i -who have no training- always thought of smooth bore as cannon , 

im still learning here 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 6:14pm
Me too, A Sq...but even during the Un-civil war they reffered to the napoleons etc as "guns".

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2016 at 7:39am
yes , i also heard the iowas rifled 16 inchers referred  to as "guns" 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2016 at 12:54pm
I'm not sure. The last time I called a naval 8" a "gun" I got all sorts of flak for it they wanted to call them "rifles"Shocked
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic