Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple of stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 7:47pm
The magazine well got done today, then the socket was fitted before I started on the barrel inlet,  and having had quite a few hours bent over the bench I left it for the day after it was past the half way mark but that is the easy half where it is really more roughing work that fitting. . When I finish it tomorrow I will put it aside and get Euans Martini up to the same stage before any shaping is done.

Smoking into the socket

First assembly

And the barrel fitted with the inlet for it started.

Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 5:11pm
looking good , keep posting your progress , this is fun and you are doing really nice work , 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 7:53pm
With a few more hours the barrel was finished. Smoking in is a really good way of doing this as the soot easily wipes off the steel afterward and is not penetrative for the wood so is easily taken off as well.

So with it at this stage it will be put aside while Euans Martini gets up to the same stage where shaping can begin

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 8:01pm
With the headless bolt in place a start can be made

With the headless bolt down the bolt hole the socket dimensions can be marked on the face of the stock then a free handed interior line marked round so the process can start.

After it has been smoked down into position.

It can then be bolted up to check for tight fit against the face of the socket and the socket edges

The forestock is started by marking out and cutting the action stub

And the roughing out can start.

This has been a long day and with tomorrow looking to be a bright still day I am going to burn some powder in a few of my own rifles.

Von Gruff

flatdarkelf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 7:40am
Beautiful! Clap
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 10:26am
I like your Purple Heart vise jaws. Thumbs Up

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 11:20am
This is simply impressive! Thumbs Up
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by W.R.Buchanan W.R.Buchanan wrote:

I like your Purple Heart vise jaws. Thumbs Up

Randy
Cheers Randy.
They were from a pair of double hung sash windows I made where the purple heart was used for the sills.
Von Gruff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 3:21pm
Garry:  I have a  friend who makes Hydroforming Dies out of Purple Heart.  it is pretty dense stuff.

For those who don't know.  Hydro Forming is a process where a die is made that duplicates the odd form of a compound curved panel,,, like a Blister on an Aircraft Engine Cowling.

The Die is sat on the base of a large hydraulic press and piece of sheet metal is laid on top of the die.

The moving part of the press has a large thick piece of hard rubber on it's face and when lowered onto the die it deforms to the shape of the die and the sheet metal is formed to the exact form of the surface of the die.

You see this all over the place, and lots of body parts for cars are made this way,,,now you know how it was done.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 6:20pm
I understood hydroforming to be the use of water to form with. I hydro formed the first few cases for my 6.5 Grendel-Max so I could have a formed case for the gunsmith to use as a head space guage.
In this pic the 7.62x39 is on the left followed by the 6.5x36 then the Grendel and then there is my Grendel-Max with the 123gn A Max and then my cast bullet.
There are chamber neck dia, leade length differences in the reamer but to hydroform the first case I made a .05 spacer and permanently fixed it to the top of the she!! holder, filled the case with water (insert a fired primer first though) and run it up into the FLS die with the expander stem removed. Then a steel dowel that is a firm fit in the neck of the case is slid into position so it rests on top of the water and given a few hefty blows with a hammer and the water pressure hydroforms the case walls forward to meet the die shoulder and you have the means to set the head space for the barrel. All the rest of the brass was expanded to 308 then necked back down to 6.5 with an extra .006 shim on top of the she!! holder so that I would have a crush fit in the chamber and fireformed all the cases with a small dose of red dot and a cast bullet. For subsequent sizing the she!! holder with the .05 spacer keeps the brass from entering the die fully by that .05 so I am sizing for my chamber. I have just replaced one lot of my (hornady) brass after numerous reloads and replaced it with Lapua. I have killed many animals using this rifle that is a customised mini mauser where I lengthened the magazine considerably and made the stock from a self made laminate.
Von Gruff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 10:32am
Hydroforming can be done with Fluids as well.  There are different forms of Fluids, and some are denser than others.

Water, oil, Mercury are all Fluid.  Glass is a liquid it is just super cooled at room temp.  People are always amazed at how Glass windows in old houses are thicker at the bottom than the top.  The glass has flowed down over time.

The hard rubber is used in the case of sheet metal forming since there would be no way to contain the liquid.  it is also not as big a mess.

I had a friend when I was young that was depriming Berdan Primed 8MM cases using oil.  I stopped by his garage that day after school and he had oil everywhere.

I asked him why he didn't use water instead? Ermm

His Dad beat him when he got home from work.  Then asked him why he didn't use water?

No answer.

Randy
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 7:44pm

I had other things to do for the last few days but got back to it today and had a reasonable result.
Finished off the forestock barrel channel

Then the forestock latch needed seeing to

Von Gruff

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 7:54pm
thank you for podsting this - im enjoying it
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 7:56pm

I put it together just to see how it looked

Then it was the turn of the butt plate so it got marked out and the beak inlet

Then some thickness was planed off the butt stock to make less material to be removed when getting the plate fitted

I forgot to take a pic when I did it but the lever cup was fitted when the butt stock was still in the square

And then the start of some shaping began but the day had been long enough that a rudimentary shape was all I got it to.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 7:59pm
And now that I have the butt plate shape I can take a pattern and transfer that to the Mk 3 pattern stock which will be next job on the list as the martini needs the forestock banded attachment piece fitted further up the barren than it is now and secures into place so it can be inlet while the forestock is in the square.
Von Gruff

flatdarkelf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 12:34am
Garry,
The grain on that Martini is fantastic.  That will be one beautiful rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic