Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple of stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 9:28am
Yes, that one big black stringer along with all the Fiddleback in that blank will definitely show thru in the end. I see lots of details that are going to add to the character of that rifle.

I love it when hidden details show themselves, it's almost like Christmas.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 11:07am
Another thing that has possibly arisen is that this is one of the many pics that Euan showed me to typify what he would like the finished rifle to look like as far as proportions and lines went except that where this one has flutes at the comb nose he wanted the wrist lengthened so there were no flutes which you can see by a comparison of where the lever end is in relation to the comb nose.
He rang last night and we organised for him to come through today for a check fitting and I mentioned that I have a piece of buffalo horn that suit the forend tip to make it more like the old time custom rifles so that is another little possibility we will discuss today.
Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 3:50pm
it looks great , 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 7:02pm
Euan has been in for a check fitting and a decent yarn and has decided that the piece of buffalo horn for the forend tip will be a very nice finishing touch so that will get attended to

The pattern stock has been finish shaped so it only needs the sanding done now before an insect controll coat and some B L O (no raw wood goes international shipping ) and then that can be dispatched.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 7:06pm
The other good outcome of the day was that Euan bought down an original fish belly 5 shot magazine for the  Lee Speed styled sporting rifle I built for myself some time back. These magazines are more scarce than hens teeth so I was /am very pleased to have this to finish my rifle to what I always saw in my mind.
Von Gruff

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 9:31pm
one beautiful rifle , if i were into spporters instead of military id be inclined to that for certain , you do great work , id be proud of that one 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 8:40pm

The pattern stock has been sanded to 150 grit and given a couple of coats of B L O to give it a minimum of protection.

Then it was onto putting the buffalo horn tip on the Martini and there is nothing quite like cutting the end off a fully shaped forestock to add the tip for making you very carefull of measurements etc

Normally I have three brass dowels to hold the tip on but this forestock is so slim that I only really had room for two. The 1/8 in brass dowels are bruised with a set of end nippers to make them a bit more grippy and the epoxy is mixed with a touch of black concrete die to match the the horn tip after it is polished just in case there is any imperfections in the mating surfaces

All clamped up where it will sit for a couple of days while I do other "stuff".

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 3:45pm

A few hours this morning had the raw horn shaped back to where the old tip had been

With tape around the end of the file I can make sure that I am keeping things from getting down past the original bed. I keep the taped end in the barrel channel but had to sit it like this so it would balance for the pic.

So back to a 150grit finish at this stage.

Von Gruff

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 3:44am
Thats going to be a handsome rifle when it's finished. Very fine work indeed. Thanks for posting the progress.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 12:48pm
Garry:  I use Surf Board Resin "Pigment" to color the epoxy.  Started doing it on knife handles in 1984, and I figured it out all by myself.

It really does make all the difference in your glue joint.  There is never any gaps showing when you use the colored Epoxy.

Here's a perfect example of this technique.  The Red liner material was Glued to the Black handle material using Red Epoxy, then the scales were glued to the knife tang using the same colored glue.

It was nearly impossible to perfectly match all the angles involved on this type of handle, but the colored epoxy filled all the gaps and yielded a perfect fit everytime.

This knife was made in 1984 and was my daily carry for many years.  It has been sharpened exactly twice.  The blade is made from 154CM hardened to 62-63Rc.  Took a while to get that first edge on it but it lasted for the first 20 years.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 9:33pm
That is a good looking handle Randy. I have not done any of my knives with liners but I can appreciate how much the need for the coloured epoxy might come in handy.

A progress report sees the martini stock having been sanded to 360, wetted and re-sanded then repeated twice with 600grt paper. After that it has had a couple of applications of alkanet root oil and is sitting drying for now. It will be finished off over the next week or two.
Von Gruff

W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 10:02am
Garry the liner material comes in thickness of .015-.030 and is available in Red, White, Blue and Black.
It gives a little bit of contrast to an otherwise mundane Black/Stainless look.  I tried just about every color combination I could come up with but the best looking ones were some combination of black, silver and red like shown.  African Black wood went especially well with the red liners.

I used it once on a Recoil pad and it looked OK except the Red didn't show up like I'd hoped against the reddish color of the stock wood. Mi9ght need to revisit that one some day.  I also need to put about 2lbs of lead in that stock as it's a 7 lb  .45-70 and gets old pretty fast with even mid -Range loads

Randy
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 9:10pm
I am about ready to call this one done although with the fiddle back and grain endings it took 27 coats of oil for it to stop sucking in and seal the surface.

Von Gruff

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 11:19pm
That is a beautiful job. The wood looks fantastic!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 4:19am
Nice job! Well done!
Loose wimmen tightened here
klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 5:26pm
Wow! That's beautiful. Fantastic lines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic