A tad OT, but. Dillon RL550 trick.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A tad OT, but. Dillon RL550 trick.
    Posted: November 04 2015 at 10:37am
Sounds like a good idea. I have some soda can metal on my bench so I'll have a look at it and see if it will work.
thanks, Zed.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 7:24am
I know of one guy who made a shim for the bottom of the powder bar to raise it slightly.IIRC he used a strip cut from a soda can as it was just big enough to not interfere with the sliding action.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 3:55am
It is the large bar I'm using; I don't reload anything that requires the smaller one. However I do have 2 powder rigs and and another large powder bar. Think i need to give it a close inspection and maybe try the one I have set up for the .45, finding the time is not easy at present as I'm in the middle of replacing our kitchen! The "Inspector of unfinished works" doesn't appreciate me slinking off to the shedOuch
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 1:13pm
Which powder bar are you using?
The "small" is kind of famous for that because of the 2-part construction with the top & bottom not being a really tight fit.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 11:59am
I use a Dillon 650. I only check the lube when swapping calibres, grease under the turn plate and some vaseline oil for the lighter requirements.
 I've had a few minor issues with the powder dose system, seems to sprinkle a bit of powder onto the rig occasionally; especially with the SP7 powder which is a smaller grain type powder. That makes me doubt the load delivered; which is not great!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 7:38am
They did something when they went from the 450 to the 550, I'm not sure what.
I never heard of a 450 galling, but it was quite common with the 550's. I guess because of different alloys or design internally?
I've been using what Dillon suggests, the grease from their service & spare kit & 30W motor oil, but as mine is the real early version I don't have any way of really greasing the pivot pins without the tear down. The later models have either grease holes or Zerk fittings.

25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 4:35pm
I have the 450.  It's old, but bought new.  For decades I've just used some penetrating oil.  Never driven out anything.  I got the tip from Dillon.  Runs smooth, nary a squeak.  A thin coat of motor oil on the piston.  I keep the powder and primer bars clean with alcohol.
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 1:48pm
If you ever watch Dillon's video about detail stripping & completely re lubing old Dillon RL 550's you'll notice an odd blooper where they discuss using an "8D nail" as a long, wide punch to drive the axis pins out for cleaning & re-lubing the upper pivot pins.

At 2':30" into the video they show a hand holding a big, & I mean BIG! nail, it must be 1/4" across the shaft & about 7~8" long. This is curious because an 8D nail is only 2 1/2" long & about 10 gauge.Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuMsTIKsaU

Well I went shopping for the mystery nail & its actually an "60D", not an "8D" which is 6" long just so's you knows if you ever decide to do the strip & want a punch that works! They're $0.22 each at Home Despot.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic