Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear sight options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
flatdarkelf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear sight options
    Posted: December 21 2015 at 9:20am
I have since scratched the Krag front sight idea and fabricated one from an old dovetailed ramp sight.  I believe it adds far more character and good looks.  A fellow Enfielder here on the forum was gracious enough to track down a Long Tom rear sight for me.  I will use the equation to calculate the height of the front base and go from there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 9:10am
I have tracked down an original Long Tom sight.  I also have changed my front sight option.  Will post some pics.
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 9:37pm
Pro Deo et Patria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 6:25pm
Here is a pic of the sight in the final fitting stages.  Hopefully I get it soldered later this week.  Work is keeping me busy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 7:42am
I'm finishing the final shaping of the front sight.  Will post some pics when I attach it.Smile
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 6:51pm
im going back to the original post with something i thought but did not say aloud as i had input to the topic , 

im not certain i agree that rescue is the correct term if bubba stole a military item mkIII from us and while i agree with returning thos to original nick , if  you seek to return it to a commercial version mkIII or to a to a different form of what it might have been , im not certain i agree , 

im seeing it as improved bubba if it was a commercial arm that bubba did his deed upon , but a military arm originally not so much , but i could be confused in that this may well be a sporting arm that bubba sought to "improve" in his initial action , 

please confirm if originally military or commercial mkIII .............

that said , you always have the right to do with what you own as you see fit , i have the right to differ in my opinion , we both have the right to say so here , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 7:11pm
Well I received the express sight from Jeff's Outfitters.  While it's a nice sight...I'm not happy with the way it looks.  It just doesn't give that "British" feel.  So, back on the hunt for a Lee Speed sight.  The front Krag sight from S&S will look fantastic.  Will post a pick when I get her all put on.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 10:17am
Then go for the Jeff's Outfitters, it looks closest & you obviously have the knowledge to zero it!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 7:20am
The front sight will start out as an unfinished blade.  As I shoot the rifle to sight in, I will file down the front blade to regulate the plane.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 7:12am
How are you going to get the sighting planes sorted out to zero with these choices?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 12:33am
Does anyone have any experience with the express sights offered from Jeff's Outfitters?  They have an octagonal base which I can reshape.  $40US just seems awfully cheap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 12:28am
Thanks Garry.  I think the Krag rear sight is my best option then.  Those sit pretty low.  Unless the Enfield gods drop an express sight down from above.  LOL
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 12:25am
The one thing I would offer is that the lower the rear sight the better as the comb height on the Lee Speed style stock is best suited for the lowest rear sight and even then it is not the scrunched down hold that many use but the fast handling cheek weld of the relaxed mid cheek resting lightly on the comb. The rifle comes up to the cheek rather than the head coming down to the comb. The other thing of course is  that in the making of a Lee Speed styled sporting rifle, it is best if possible to keep to Lee Enfield equipment as that is what all the original sporters used.
Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 10:42pm
The other option I'm considering is the SMLE 1906 rear sight.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 5:28pm
having owned a number of krags i will say i liked the sights , owning a mkIII i love that rifle , as to the combo im not sure because i never vthought to do what you are sugesting - i guess it sounds OK , post the results 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 12:27pm
My apologies Gents.  I should've added photos.

The top 1901 Krag sight has had the military ladder removed and hinged in place is a sporting foldable leaf sight.

The middle photo is what 1901 Krag sight looks like in full military trim.

Bottom photo is of the Krag front sight base I just ordered.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic