Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chilliwack BC gun show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chilliwack BC gun show
    Posted: November 14 2015 at 10:24am
I got to the gun show right at opening time today. Saw 3 #5/Mk1's with lofty prices and one example looked like new but was parkerized. Also, there were 2 #4/Mk1 T snipers with scopes but one scopewas not matching#'s. The matching numbered scope was so beat up it looked the part of having seen combat. The rifle with the numebred scope to the rest was $4400Cnd. and the other was $3800Cnd. Nice to look at and the furniture on both was all original. Many other #4's there in full military trim and not and #1's as well. Also saw a Lithgow but it was being purchased as I looked, it looked quite nice. Bought 500 Hornady 174Gr. FMJ bullets for re-loading and 300 Hornady Interlock for hunting in 150 gr. Also, I found and bought 200 bullets made by Speer 'Hot-Cor' flat base in 150gr.SP. I need to find out more about those but the vendor said he re-loads for a few hunter friends of his in .303 caliber and they are very happy with their performance on deer, etc. Found and bought the Ian Skennerton book on the Enfield #2/Mk1, been looking for that book for a while but refuse to pay eBay prices for one. Got 40 rounds of 147 ball ammunition for my Mosins. Might go back to the show Sunday morning to see if I missed anything and just to drool at those #4 T's, LOL.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 11:05am
The Speer hot- cor work well, I've used them in the 303 and loaded them for the Dragunov (310.5 dia barrel with a 311 bullet).  Put the bullet in the right spot and it takes them down fine.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 1:12pm
"I found and bought 200 bullets made by Speer 'Hot-Cor' flat base in 150gr.SP. I need to find out more about those"

The bullet shape is very different from the MkVII ball, you might want to do some experimenting with seating depth. They can be made to work, but it takes a little application.
I think Tony made them behave for him?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 1:24pm
Thanks Shamu! I have to wonder now if there might have to be some magazine feed lip adjusting with the Speer pills?
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 5:23pm
I loaded to 71.05 mm 2.797 inches, they feed ok using the 5 round mag on the Parker Hale, but what's good for my rifle may not be ok for yours so be prepared to do some tweaking. Just tried them in the 10 round mag for the #4 mk1 and they won't cycle properly on the enfield. The previous owner  may have tweaked the mag lips on the Parker hale or it could have been sold with the lips adjusted by PH. The mag is a cut down 10 round mag possibly supplied with the rifle when PH purchased it for sporterising.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 7:32pm
When I get some loaded up I'll try feeding them in both my Parker Hale's first and see how it feeds.Both my #1 and #4 PH's feed 180 grain SP Remington Core-Lokt's without an issue at all.Both of my PH's have the 5 round magazines cut down from #4 magazines as they have the machined steel floor plate attached.Both 5 round magazines fit into each rifle with no problems.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 11:31pm
Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be happy with the bullets. I used the data from the Vhitavuori web site and it works ok. I usually use Sierra 150 grain but the shop had run out, I can't see any difference in performance between the 2 brands and the results are very good (if I do my bit).
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 6:37am
I set up my feed lips to work perfectly with MkVII ball.
If you look at the pic above you'll see the ogive is set the same, not the seating depth, which is really shallow with the Speer bullets. I set the COAL to match MkVII.

I have spun down (polished & slightly reduced diameter) of my expander ball though so I have a tight grip on the bullet's base.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Seaforth72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaforth72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 4:22pm
I own both of the No. 4 MK. I (T) rifles mentioned at the start of this thread. 

The 1944 BSA Shirley is very original, but like over 90% of those in North America has the scope/bracket mismatched to the rifle. Otherwise, everything is original to this rifle, including all of the wood and in excellent condition. The scope is a No. 32 MK. II was also made in 1944 and was just rebuilt by Peter Laidler, the World's expert on these scopes.  

The 1943 BSA Shirley is cheaper. It had been sporterized, but luckily no metal was cut. It has been restored back to standard sniper specs using original parts (except for the replica eyeshade). The No. 32 MK. I scope/bracket is also mismatched to the rifle. This scope was recently repaired by Warren Wheatfield in Canada. 

One can find cheaper No. 4 MK. I (T) sets, but often the scope turrets are "frozen"due to stiff grease, and these need to be serviced, as forcing the turrets will damage them. The repair/servicing costs are factored into the prices on these two sniper sets. 

Having a scope serviced in the U.K. is the ideal except that Canada Customs can charge tax on the FULL value of the repaired scope, not just the repairs costs. As well, Peter Laidler does not accept projects directly. Everything funnels through a middleman, presumably for bookkeeping reasons --- Fulton's of Bisley in the UK or BDL in the USA. If a Canadian sends a scope via BDL to Laidler then it is crossing multiple borders with the complications that ensue. 

Remember also that these prices are in Canadian dollars, a Canadian dollar being worth about 3/4 of a U.S. dollar at this time. 

Seaforth72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaforth72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 4:12pm
I have now located the owner of the original scope, bracket and scope case that match the 1943 BSA which came out of Pennsylvania. This chap lives in Nebraska! I am negotiating with the owner who wishes to purchase my rifle to reunite the set. 
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 2:49am
wow this thread took a change of direction. cool and nice work on finding the scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic