Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1MkIII Bolt head size?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 7:22am
Head spacing off the shoulder, instead of the rim, would probably work for a Mauser because most Mausers shoot a rimless cartridge case, and relies upon the shoulders to hold the cartridge in place when chambered. The .303 British cartridge is rimmed and relies upon the rim to hold the cartridge in place. There are a few Mausers that do fire rimmed ammunition, and the head space between the bolt face comes into play. I shoot a 43 Mauser in which I use 45-70 brass, the rim on the 43 Mauser is thicker than on the 45-70 so primers sometime push back out of the primer pocket about a .001" 
Gun Nut 4
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 11:21am
There is a school of thought for the .303 that uses some kind of "o-ring" or rubber band to force the virgin case base back against the bolt face & then fire a forming charge to blow the lubricated case out to match the chamber at which point you just neck resize.

I honestly don't regard it as actually "head spacing off the shoulder" so much as fire forming to the individual chamber though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 11:56am
The fact is that with a Lee Enfield, if it won't get proper headspace with a good bolt body and the largest standard bolt head; then the receiver is worn out. With the only exception maybe if someone has been at the chamber with a reamer.
I now have a new bolt body to try with a couple of bolt heads. So we will see if it can be improved. 
However I must say that at present the rifle is still safe to fire, as it does just pass on the field gauge, it was UK Proofed in 2013 and my reloads are slower than standard, because this rifle is more accurate at around 2200 ft/second.
I'm just interested in trying to get this rifle as accurate as I can and I think this is one area that could be improved.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 12:34pm
Gun nut 4. I also shoot 43 mauser and use bertram cases. so it is rimed and that why i brought it up

Shamu, i believe its off the sholder because the rim  no longer touches the barrel and is only used for extraction at that point. and moving the sholder in a sizing die will adjust head space
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 4:08pm
Unless you use neck sizing dies & adjust them via a smudge.
They will slowly move anyway so that after many firings you'll need to do at least a "partial full length resize" to get everything back in place.
That's why I prefer the partial full length tuned to the individual chamber over neck sizing, because of consistency.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 10:28am
Why do some #1 bolt heads have a slot cut in the threaded section?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 12:52pm
Its an old method of removing the striker. There was a matching lug on the striker. They frequently refuse to screw in fully to newer bolt bodies.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 1:57pm
Ah I see, thank you!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic